Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User on Collection account

tag
bear812c
Regular Contributor

Authorized User on Collection account

I've got an old unpaid collection for Comenity/Eddie Bauer. I plan to pay it off this month. My question is my husband is an Authorized User on this account and therefore it is also reporting as a collection on his credit. I would like to have this removed from his report. What are the chances that they will remove it from  his credit if he sends Comenity a letter requesting they remove his name from this account and delete account from his credit? Or is there a better way to approach this situation??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
polno1234
Contributor

Re: Authorized User on Collection account

as long as he is just an au and not a joint account holder he can get it removed. send a dispute letter to the cra and they will remove the negative from his report

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

AU gives the creditor the ablility to report the account history of their card holder to the credit file of another.

The AU has no legal responsibility for the debt itself, and thus a debt collector cannot pursue collection of the debt from the AU.

They are improperly shotgunning both parties.

I would have him send the debt collector a direct dispute, with the basis being their reporting of collection on a debt for which he has no obligation.

If they verify, then shoot out a formal complaint to the CFPB.

Message 3 of 8
bear812c
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the advice, Robert! and could you tell me, what is the CFPB??

Message 4 of 8
polno1234
Contributor

cfpb consumer financial protection bureau.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Both the FCRA and the FDCPA specifically authorize administrative enforcement of those statutes to the CFPB (originally to the FTC).

When you have what you consider to be a clear violation of any provisions of those statutes (not simply disputes over accuracy of reporting), you can send them a formal complaint, and they will investigate.

Message 6 of 8
bear812c
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the clarification. I called the creditor had h...

Thanks for the clarification. I called the creditor had him removed as an AU on the account. Also, they told me all he has to do is send them a letter in writing stating it is reporting on his credit and that he wants it deleted from his reorts and they will remove it. Hopefully it really is that easy. I guess we'll find out within a few weeks.The letter is already in the mail. If they don't then I'll be filing that complaint as you advised.

Message 7 of 8
jnc
Contributor

Re: Thanks for the clarification. I called the creditor had h...

I had this same issue... with my husband as AU on a charged off card of mine.

All I did was put in a dispute with the 3 credit bureaus asking them to remove the account from his report because he was not financially responsible for the account, as an AU.

All 3 gave me no issues and removed the account immediately.

-C-

J & C
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.