Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User

tag
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

Authorized User

My DH has a 4 year old BoA CC 500 CL and just opened a USAA CC with a 15k limit. My AAoA is shot right now from opening new cards during the holidays so I thought the BoA card would help with AAOA while the USAA card would shoot my util to less than 1% as an AU of each. Would this make a huge difference in my scores or is it wishful thinking? My sig is accurate.
Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized User

If the BoA reports an AU from the open date then it will increase your AAoA. Some cards do, some don't and I can't say about BoA. If it does then you should get a better boost than just being an AU on the USAA card.
Message 2 of 9
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

Will the low limit look bad as I have other "toy" limits? Hubby refuses to use the card because of the limit but won't close it because it's his oldest card but he won't ask for a higher limit either....

Message 3 of 9
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

Hubby said no....he's deathly afraid my credit will affect his so it's meh now. Thanks for the info!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lindsaydruart wrote:

Hubby said no....he's deathly afraid my credit will affect his so it's meh now. Thanks for the info!

You're better off building on your own accounts. Not a fan of the whole AU thing.

Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Even if adding an AU helps your score, it also means that your score is no longer representative of only your own risk evaluation.

If you apply for credit where the creditor does a manual review and notices the presence of an AU, they hvae no way to determine the effect of that account on your score or to back out that one account and see a score that represents your own risk.

Adding an AU is great if you will be applying for low levels of credit that normally do not result in a manual review, but can be a problem is you apply for credit that invovles a more detailed,, manual review.

The 'aint no free!

Message 6 of 9
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Even if adding an AU helps your score, it also means that your score is no longer representative of only your own risk evaluation.

If you apply for credit where the creditor does a manual review and notices the presence of an AU, they hvae no way to determine the effect of that account on your score or to back out that one account and see a score that represents your own risk.

Adding an AU is great if you will be applying for low levels of credit that normally do not result in a manual review, but can be a problem is you apply for credit that invovles a more detailed,, manual review.

The 'aint no free!

It was for the low level auto approval stuff. I'm only 2 cards away from my Zen and I have been aggressively acquiring them but I need the bump to get the other 2 cards. As much as I want to garden, I wanted to garden with all the cards I wanted. I'm a woman. I don't know this thing called patience but it looks like I'll have to have it to get that Amex.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lindsaydruart wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

The 'aint no free!

It was for the low level auto approval stuff. I'm only 2 cards away from my Zen and I have been aggressively acquiring them but I need the bump to get the other 2 cards. As much as I want to garden, I wanted to garden with all the cards I wanted. I'm a woman. I don't know this thing called patience but it looks like I'll have to have it to get that Amex.

"I don't know what that means..." <spoken in the voice of Zack from Bones>

IMHO, you are trapped in toy card hell, with all those store cards. I started about the same place you did, just a few months earlier. Look at my sig and see how I've progressed - our scores are very similar. Instead of getting more cards, concentrate on paring that down to whats ACTUALLY USEFUL, and start working those limits up, particularly the Cap Ones, they will grow quickly if you work them.

Message 8 of 9
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

I definitely sat down and looked at my chopping block cards. 3 Comenities and 3 Synchronies will get the chop somewhere around 13 months or sooner if I get the CLIs I want on them. I got my in with Discover but was trying to get the in with Amex for the Delta before my Jamaica trip in May and Spring Break with the kids. I'll just have to wait it out until after the house in July probably.  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.