Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users how long does it take to show

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized Users how long does it take to show

My father in law put me and my wife on his discover card as an AU. One does discover card report AU to the CR and two how long does it typically

take for this to occur?

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Authorized Users how long does it take to show

@Anonymous wrote:

My father in law put me and my wife on his discover card as an AU. One does discover card report AU to the CR and two how long does it typically

take for this to occur?

Welcome to the forums.

In my experience Discover will report AU's to the CRA's and it only took days for that to happen.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

take for this to occur?

topher32,

I am considering adding myself to my wife's Discover account (long and excellent history with a CL of $14k) as an authorized user to improve my credit score. Discover had previously lowered my CL on my Discover personal credit card (w/o wife) from $7k to $1K.

Did Discover pull a hard or soft inquiry on you and your wife's credit report when you were added to you father in law's account as authorized users?

Thanks

Message 3 of 47
Lakers
Regular Contributor

Just a question:

To be added as an AU would you yourself have to qualify for the credit card, or are you just piggybacking on someone with good credit history? 

Message 4 of 47
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You do not have to qualify.  You are only added to the account of someone with good credit.

Remember though, if they default, it does affect your credit.

Message 5 of 47
soxcited
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

take for this to occur?

Well mine still has not showed up. It has been 3 weeks. AMEX and HSBC. AMEX got the SSN etc. HSBC did not. We have different names, different addresss so I am not sure if they will ever show up.

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: 706
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

soexcited, Im in the same boat as you. I was put on as a AU on discover 04-05-10 and still not reporting. It was my dada card and we have the same last name but different address. They did not ask for my SS# at the time either. I hoping that it is reported this month being that the first is the billing cycle. I will let you know if or when it reflect on my report being that we were both added as AU's about the same time.

Message 7 of 47
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

topher32,

I am considering adding myself to my wife's Discover account (long and excellent history with a CL of $14k) as an authorized user to improve my credit score. Discover had previously lowered my CL on my Discover personal credit card (w/o wife) from $7k to $1K.

Did Discover pull a hard or soft inquiry on you and your wife's credit report when you were added to you father in law's account as authorized users?

Thanks

There won't be a credit inquiry to be added as an AU.

Message 8 of 47
schniery
Established Member

It sometimes depends on the company.  I was added to my father's Chase Mastercard/Visa and it showed up on my Experian report within 3 weeks and increased my score, but yet has showed up on my TU or EQ.  I know sometimes they don't report the AU until the bill cycle comes due. 

Anyone have any experience with Sears Mastercard as AU??

Message 9 of 47
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Good discussion!

AU authorization is a hotly-contested issue in the credot scoring world.  Credit reports and scores are intended to be a personal review of one's individual credit history.  Spousal credit records dont even enter into one's personal credit score.

There were arcane provisions to allow a consumer to add another party to their credit history by posting as an "authoriized user."

That led to a scam of sites that allowed you to purchase the credit repirting of another in order to improve your own credit score.

Being recognized as a scam. FICO proposed, a few years ago, to exclude all AU authorizations from credit scoring.

Well, protests were many.  So FICO arrived at the compromise of continuing to include AU designations in credit scoring, .but only of the AU was an immediate family member.

I would eliminate the whole AU process, period.  It is not based on ones own personal  credit history.

Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.