Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user holding back score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user holding back score?

My husband is currently an authorized user on my Capital One card. This card has a couple 30 (most recent one is 1/2016) 1 60 day late (from 2014). He has:

First Premier (1.5 years open- no lates 10% uti)
Quicksilver One (3 months open- no lates- 7% uti)
1 CCS collection (will pfd this month- confirmed pfd with collector)
1 medical collection (sent pfd request- waiting to see if they reply- dofd is in 2012.
Auto loan - 1 closed- no lates and 1 open - 3 months- no lates
All other accounts closed- no lates going back to 2010.

His myfico scores are just barely in the 600’s. Would taking him off the Capital One help his portfolio? The account has been open since 2012.

As always- thanks for the advice! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user holding back score?

How old is the CO card and what would it drop his AAoA and AoOA to if he were removed as an AU from it?

If the baddies currently on his report get removed and the only baddies left are on the AU account, it makes sense to get rid of the AU account to obtain a clean file IMO.  That's more meaningful than the benefits of an increased age of accounts sector of the FICO pie, which is less than half the size of the payment history slice. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card was open on 8/2012. It is by far the oldest account in his profile except for a closed personal loan in 2010 and a closed auto from 2013. All other accounts have been opened in the last 3 years- all no lates-most recent account in Sept (the Q1). I was thinking the lates on the card might be doing more harm than the age is helping.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since he has older closed accounts on his credit report that will fall off a few years from now or longer, I'd remove him from AU on that card.  30D and 60D lates can hurt -- up to 90 points in some isolated cases.

Once he's removed, you may need to give it 1-2 cycles to fall off his reports and if they don't, dispute the account and it'll be removed.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend to agree - derogs trump AAoA....

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.