Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA AU Charge-Off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA AU Charge-Off

After a year of work I'm down to 3 bad tradelines still showing on my CR's. The largest and most frustrating to me is that now I'm the lucky owner of a 15K charge-off CC from BOA.

After divorce my ex-husband, who owned the account with me only as an AU, let it default resulting in a charge-off. I assume at some point it will go to a collections agency and/or judgement. He and I have very little communication and I did not know the status of the card until the charge-off hit my reports.

I've attempted to speak to BOA but as an AU they will not speak to me either by phone or in writing nor will they remove the tradeline from my reports.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this type of situation?  I'm positive having a 15K debt showing against my prior income is really hurting me.

Because of a severe illness that eventually required a transplant I was unable to work for close to 4 years. My only income during that time was my now ex-husband's followed by alimony/child support. Six months ago I was finally cleared to return to work and found a position with a company that while running a credit check on me overlooked my less than stellar credit and lapse in employment. Although I have now tripled my income, this increase is not yet reflected on my reports.  I can imagine how much of a hit I'm taking showing a 15K debt.

As always I'd appreciate anyones suggestions and advice. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: BOA AU Charge-Off

I would dispute it as "not my account" as AU you're not responsible for paying it.

Yes, they can report it but since it's CO and you can't even communicate with the lender, I would fight this.

I did a quick search here on this board and it's been suggested numerous times. Some had success, others did not.

I would write letters to each CB, explaining that it was not your debt and the debtor will not communicate with you, include them with your disputes. 

If you haven't disputed already it's surely worth a shot. You can search this board & see posts from others that had the same issue. 

GOOD LUCK

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks once again, I'll give this a try. I also thought about and wondered about possibly writing BOA and demanding they remove me as an AU since they won't discuss the account with me and ask they confirm the removal in writing. Once received (if they did it) I can send that letter to the CRRA's.  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call all 3 credit bureas and inform them you are not liable for the account and you were an AU without your knowledge until you n oticed the charge off on your credit report. I just disputed an account with all three bureas that was in my husband name and naming me as a AU and they deleted it with no problem. It takes up to 30 days but give it a try.  I hope this helps.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll give that a try. Thanks!!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

I would dispute it as "not my account" as AU you're not responsible for paying it.

Yes, they can report it but since it's CO and you can't even communicate with the lender, I would fight this.

I did a quick search here on this board and it's been suggested numerous times. Some had success, others did not.

I would write letters to each CB, explaining that it was not your debt and the debtor will not communicate with you, include them with your disputes. 

If you haven't disputed already it's surely worth a shot. You can search this board & see posts from others that had the same issue. 

GOOD LUCK

+1. I have done this before and have been sucessful! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.