Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad credit, can't find a way out

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bad credit, can't find a way out

Thank you all so much for your input and recommendations, I will certainly do my best putting all of them in effect.  I should have mentioned in my original post that when it comes to my spending habits, I am VERY frugal.  I often buy clothes at Goodwill, use coupons when grocery shopping, and have reduced my portion of monthly bills to very little, ie: $70/month for water, $60/month internet, $600/month rent, etc.  I was able to pull all three of my credit reports, here is what I found:

TRANSUNION: -Auto loan (being late, sometimes more than 60 days on payments), I'm definitely getting ahead of them now though. 

-$4,5k student loan, currently being deffered through a financial aid company, show's $0 per month for 153 months.

-$400 ER visit from 2/10/17

- $174 rental car bill from enterprise 6/6/2014

-$52 old cox comm bill 8/3/17

-$140 med bill 9/8/17

-$228 vet bill 6/19/15

-$4,120 placed by a previous town home on 5/16/16 I was renting (had to break my lease 5 months early to move to california and help a very sick family member, i have traded countless emails with the manager to see what I can do about lowering this amount)

-$163 med bill 9/27/17

-$126 med bill 9/5/12

-$202 med bill 6/26/15

EQUIFAX

-Autoloan (as previously mentioned) , approx $10k remaining

-student loan $2502 from 9/15/15

EXPERIAN

-default payments from Auto Loan

-$400 ER bill 6/12

-$312 med bill 5/15/2012

-$204 med bill 10/15/2014

-$205 med bill 12/2015

-$413 med bill 12/16/16

-$209 med bill 1/23/17

-$209 med bill 4/2017

-$174 rental car 8/2014

-$52 cox bill 9/2017

-$140 med bill 9/2017

-$228 vet bill 9/2015

-$167 med bill 9/2017

-$4600 (town home) 7/2015

-$4,615 $6,349, $2,302, $3,135 all amounts owed to Grand Canyon Univ ( I have never seen these amounts, I assume these are the deferred amounts that show as $0 balance for 153 months on my Transunion report).

I Know this was a lot of information, now that it is all out in the open I look forward to your suggestions, I TRULY TRULY appreciate each and everyone of you.  I HAVE to fix this now.... Thanks again!

Message 11 of 19
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Are all the med stuff in collections? If so, you can try a pay for delete.  Or search the HIPPA listed above. that is a fairly work-intensive process from what I've read, but lots swear by it. Tackle the most recent first. If you can get even a portion of those removed, then you will improve your score a good bit. It's not the amounts but the number of them that is killing your score. Then perhaps you can get it up enough to get you a CC even if its credit one or another sub-prime and start building up some positive history. 

Spend a good bit of time reading in this forum. Lots of us have had issues and there is a wealth of information here about how to get the score up and back on the right foot.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not credit one. Much better with a secured Discover IT if possible or OpenSky. They aren’t predatory like Credit One.
Message 13 of 19
austingal
Regular Contributor

Or even Capital One. Capital One gave me a $300 unsecured card at a time when Discover wouldn't even approve me for their secured card.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest to keep looking for ways to reduce spending, if you have phones maybe cut the internet bill, buy consumables in bulk, cheaper versions of things, couponing etc. If you really are down to bare bones, budgeting and don't have much left over you may need a second job or ask for a raise or put in for promotion, start a small side business etc ways to increase income.

Then with the debt personally I would start paying off the small bills first that way the pile is not so large and you'll have made progress. You may even want to consider a debt consolidation loan but it is a financial product and might end up costing you more in the long run, you have to do the math and make sure it'll work out for your situation
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve had this same issue. I enrolled in a program that helped me get rid of those late payments and negative factors. I was able to improve my 452 credit score. Let me know if you’d like the same help.
Message 16 of 19
joltdude
Senior Contributor

In your situation, even though it won't be the quick and easy soluition id consider the previously mentioned HIPAA process that we cannot discuss on here... I'd also try to prune most of your wants vs needs... You need to find a way to save enough that you can also try barganing with these medical collectors and/or paying off some of the smaller ones.. or even settling.... You might even have to consider BK but that will still leave you with student loan debt, and you might lose the car .... You can do this. it just will take some work and research on your part...

-J

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Agreed with stopping the bleeding first. It sounds like right now your life consumes every dime you bring in. I’m going to make some assumptions below - feel free to correct them but know that I’m mainly saying what I say to make a point.

First thing I would do is cut the unnecessary items out. If you have cable, shut it off. See if you can cut down on your phone plan. Kick Netflix to the curb. Things like that seem important but very quickly you learn to get by. Removing those bills can free up money that will start to give you breathing room. Add up these things and divide by four to see what you can save each week by eliminating them.

Second, for the next week continue your daily routines...but get a receipt for everything you buy and put it in an envelope. Do not change your patterns and norms if you see where I’m going with this. If you stop at Dunkin’ for a coffee every morning, keep doing it for the next week. If Wednesday is the night you order Chinese, order it. Save every receipt for every purchase. Then, after a week, go through all of them and add up everything you bought that isn’t a necessity. See what you spend each week on things that are not necessities. That’s your next area of cutting. Add this to your weekly savings figure from part one.

You can plan your meals ahead of time so that you know what to get at the store and aren’t winging it. Make a list and stick to it. It’ll save money.

If you can make some sacrifices this way, you may find the finances aren’t as dire as they appear. Adapt to the new spending habits and you will start to see a balance left in your account each week that’ll start growing.

As mentioned above, get your credit reports. See where you stand and let us know what’s on there that’s bad. There are things you can do and address that cost you nothing more than some time and effort and that can make a real difference in your score. This will help you start climbing out of the credit pit so that when the finances are better, you’ll be able to tackle the past due balances and work on moving from the 400s to the 700s.

Remember, many of us have been there and done that, or are still doing it. We get it, we don’t judge, but we will help you in any way we can to fix the past issues and move forward Smiley Happy

+ 100 to what Devil said!

Getting out of debt is a mindset. The only way to permanently get out is to change your habits. It takes time but you can do it if you put good habits into place & practice delayed gratification. GL!

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all so much for your input and recommendations, I will certainly do my best putting all of them in effect.  I should have mentioned in my original post that when it comes to my spending habits, I am VERY frugal.  I often buy clothes at Goodwill, use coupons when grocery shopping, and have reduced my portion of monthly bills to very little, ie: $70/month for water, $60/month internet, $600/month rent, etc.  I was able to pull all three of my credit reports, here is what I found:

TRANSUNION: -Auto loan (being late, sometimes more than 60 days on payments), I'm definitely getting ahead of them now though. 

-$4,5k student loan, currently being deffered through a financial aid company, show's $0 per month for 153 months.

-$400 ER visit from 2/10/17

- $174 rental car bill from enterprise 6/6/2014

-$52 old cox comm bill 8/3/17

-$140 med bill 9/8/17

-$228 vet bill 6/19/15

-$4,120 placed by a previous town home on 5/16/16 I was renting (had to break my lease 5 months early to move to california and help a very sick family member, i have traded countless emails with the manager to see what I can do about lowering this amount)

-$163 med bill 9/27/17

-$126 med bill 9/5/12

-$202 med bill 6/26/15

EQUIFAX

-Autoloan (as previously mentioned) , approx $10k remaining

-student loan $2502 from 9/15/15

EXPERIAN

-default payments from Auto Loan

-$400 ER bill 6/12

-$312 med bill 5/15/2012

-$204 med bill 10/15/2014

-$205 med bill 12/2015

-$413 med bill 12/16/16

-$209 med bill 1/23/17

-$209 med bill 4/2017

-$174 rental car 8/2014

-$52 cox bill 9/2017

-$140 med bill 9/2017

-$228 vet bill 9/2015

-$167 med bill 9/2017

-$4600 (town home) 7/2015

-$4,615 $6,349, $2,302, $3,135 all amounts owed to Grand Canyon Univ ( I have never seen these amounts, I assume these are the deferred amounts that show as $0 balance for 153 months on my Transunion report).

I Know this was a lot of information, now that it is all out in the open I look forward to your suggestions, I TRULY TRULY appreciate each and everyone of you.  I HAVE to fix this now.... Thanks again!

You mentioned the broken lease, is it being reported to the CRA's by the apartment complex/property management company or a collection agency? If it is a collection agency I would suggest sending them a DV letter, if they are not able to validate then they must remove it from your credit reports. That is probable where you want to start with any and all collection accounts, send them DV letters to see which ones are able to validate. You will also want to send a HIPPA DV letter to the collection agencies trying to collect on medical debt which is a little different than the letter you would send to non-medical debt collection agencies. Apartment complexes change property management companies quite often and the paper trail gets less and less evry time. If the debt has been sold to a collection agency there is a very good chance they will not be able to properly validate that debt.

Eventually you will get some responses from collection agencies validating the debts, for those that are TRULY validated I suggest sending them a letter asking for them to settle with you for a lesser amount. Collection agencies offer pay 10% or less for debt but try and collect the entire balance so they are often open to settling for as much as 75%-50% less. I would also try and get them to agree to delete the tradeline from your credit reports after payment. If you do get an agreement from a collection agency to settle and or PFD make sure it is in writing, do not pay them anything until you have it in writing.

Good Luck!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.