cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baddie showing up months after late payment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Baddie showing up months after late payment?

Weirdness. I got a 30 day late delinquency alert from Kroll in early November (that’s important). I checked and it was my Wells loan. I realized that i had paid my bill in oct 31, so technically post 30 days. So i called Wells and they said that the baddie was actually due to a payment I made on June 29 (4 months earlier), which was technically the 30th day past due, and the October 31 payment would be another baddie that hadn’t shown up yet. I said well 4 months is a long time before it showed up on any reports. Could it be that the June 29 wasn’t reported as late and the baddie reflects the October 31 payment? And they said no. I’ve called several times and everyone at Wells has said the same thing.
So looking at my current credit reports, none of them say anything about me being late in June, only in October. Should i just go with that? The thing with Wells is that they are unable to really verify anything because I’m only talking to the front line customer service. the people working on credit reports are apparently in a black hole somewhere.
What do you guys think? Is there any way that a baddie can show up 4 months after it happens, or is it more likely that I just have the one baddie from October.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Baddie showing up months after late payment?

There is no requirment that a delinquency be reported within set period after its occurence.

The requirement under FCRA 623(a) is that what is reported cannot knowingly be inaccurate.

If you were actually delinquent for at least 30 days, the creditor can choose not to report at all, or they can, at any later time, update their reporting to include the delinquency, provided they do not have knowledge at time of reporting that the account was not actually 30-late.

Simply stated, the basis for a dispute would be rather you were actually delinquent for the month reported, and not when the creditor reported that fact to a CRA.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks RobertEG, so much. I am actually not planning to dispute this. If anything I may file a goodwill. I’m just wondering if anyone else has ever seen a baddie reported after 4 months, and/or whether it’s likely that I was late in June and October if my credit report is only showing a late payment for October. Thank you so, so much for your help.
Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks RobertEG, so much. I am actually not planning to dispute this. If anything I may file a goodwill. I’m just wondering if anyone else has ever seen a baddie reported after 4 months, and/or whether it’s likely that I was late in June and October if my credit report is only showing a late payment for October. Thank you so, so much for your help.

Good news is its already 4 months old and your Fico will not be hit as hard as two 30s in a row. It happens all the time with reporting, once they catch the error then its updated to reflect the correct status. You need to verify that it was actually 30 days or more late so you know if the reporting is valid or not.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.