Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Badficobad Credit Repair

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Badficobad Credit Repair

For accountability. Suggestions and encouragement welcome. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Badficobad Credit Repair

May 2009 

Filed Chapter 7. 

After a long hospitalization for a complicated twin pregnancy and three months of maternity leave, DH's kidney disease progressed to end-stage. He was on dialysis for 18 months before his transplant. I was his donor (in a paired exchange program) so we were both off work for the surgery—me for the second time in a year and a half. 

We both worked the entire time we waited for the matches to pair up, but he reduced his schedule to 40 hours. We depended very much on his overtime, which he didn't have the strength or time to do anymore. My employer let me work from home a few days a week to care for him on dialysis days so I didn't have to take anymore unpaid leave. 

We barely made it through this time. The last thing we wanted to worry about was how we were going to pay the bills. So we filed for chapter 7. It was a difficult decision but it was liberating, too. 

November 2012

Bought a house. 

The mortgage is in DH's name only, but I'm on the deed (a little legal loophole). We did this to keep debt-to-income low for one of us and because, after the bankruptcy, we wanted to live well below our means. It was one of the best decisions we ever made. We never fear how we're going to pay the mortgage. 

July 2009 to August 2016

DH has been managing all finances since the bankruptcy. 

He still pays with cash or check. Has no online accounts, auto payments—except mortgage—or electronic reminders setup and no written budget. It's all in his head. He's only in his 30s, but he's PC illiterate. *By now, my 80-year-old grandmother is online.* 

This results in a total of nine 30-day lates on three auto loans, a credit card and an installment loan, and two unpaid collection accounts. *Apparently, we don't open mail.*

This is stressful for both of us because we are still living paycheck-to-paycheck and we feel like we haven't made any financial progress since the bankruptcy. We don't realize yet that this is not due to lack of money, but lack of organization. 

August 2016 - July 2017

We make a budget to see where our money is going. Find a lot of wasteful spending. Negotiate better rates with all of our utility companies, cancel unnecessary subscriptions, limit spending on shopping, entertainment and dining out. Decide to pay down credit cards to get a better handle on them. 

So, we divide and conquer our finances. We live on his income (the smallest) and use mine to pay debt. He pays the living expenses that don't affect our credit. I use the snowball method to pay down credit cards, auto loans and mortgage, and all utilities that will report if we're late. No major purchases during this time and no new debt. *This was really hard. I like to spend money.*

Credit repair isn't a thought yet, except to improve pay history, and that's only to avoid late fees so all money goes to debt payoff. I use Mint app to casually watch our credit scores. *Had no idea this wasn't real.*

Paid off and closed*: 
Capital One $4500
Synchrony/CareCredit $2500
Barclay $1500
Ally (car #1) $4500
Home Depot $2500

Currently Paying Down: 
Synchrony/Walmart $1500 (84% util)
Ally (car #2) $14,000 to $5900 

In the Queue:
GM Financial (car #3) $8,000 
Student Loans $12,860
Mortgage $80,000

ETA: All payments on time for 12 months and no new collections.

*We closed these accounts out of fear of getting into debt again.*
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Week #1 - August 1, 2017 to August 8, 2017

Credit repair officially begins. 

Scores on Mint have improved slightly since August 2016, but have stalled for the last four months. Checked scores on Credit Karma and disappointed to see they are much lower than Mint. 

Googled "how to fix sh*t credit" or similar. Find myFICO. Subscribe to 3B reports, get real scores, and pull reports from annualcreditreport. 

Join the forum, read for days. Realize I have no revolving credit and 0% utilization. *Remember, I closed those accounts.*

Learn about Shopping Cart Trick. 

Go on an app spree. 

Denied by Wells Fargo
Approved for Capital One Platinum $1000, ($3,500 less than the one I closed)
Sign on as AU on DH's Synchrony/Walmart, CL $1,800 (84% util)
Approved for VS ($250) and JCrew ($250)
Denied by Amazon
Approved for Discover $1050

Learn about prequalifying tools. *Smh*

TU registers a big payment on car #2 and my score increases by 5 points.

Send out PFDs for collections/charge-offs. Send out GWs for lates. 

Wait. *not my strength.*

Official Scores (me): EQ 658; TU 667; EX 623
Official Scores (DH): EQ 682; TU 682; EX 665

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forums! We've all made a lot of foolish mistakes along the way. I appreciate everyone who shares their story so we can minimize them moving forward.

Looks like you are making progress in the right direction. Hope you, the twins and hubby are all experiencing excellent health these days as you work on the credit rebuild
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Week #2 - August 9, 2017 to August 16, 2017

Received a call from Eastern Revenue for my collections account. They are willing to do a pay for delete. He did not offer to send a letter, as I requested, and I didn't want to push the issue since it is a legitimate debt and they are under no obligation to delete. Fingers crossed he's honest and it wasn't a ploy to get me to pay. I would have paid anyway. Check mailed and cleared, so I know they've updated my account. He said it will take 30-45 days to be deleted from my reports. 

CapOne, JCrew and VS all reported a balance this month because of timing which prevented me from paying in full before the statement cut date. All are PIF now, but I'll be careful next time how close to the cut date I charge since they don't let you pay on pending transactions. OTH, all scores jumped 12-18 points now that I am showing revolving credit again! Walmart (AU) is still 80% utilization, so I'm hoping scores go up more when I pay that off this month. 

Requested CLI from Discover, CapOne, JCrew and VS. Denied-accounts too new. 

Added DH as AU on all my cards; however, they are not reporting yet. He applied for a CapOne QS1 and got the 7-10 day message. Received an email a few days later requesting ID verification. Waiting now for official notification of approval. Now that I think about it, we probably should have waited for my cards to report and decrease his utilization. He may have been approved for more. This inquiry dropped is EX score by 1 pt. 

Received a myfico alert that Directv reported a collection account on DH. This dropped his EX score an additional 30 points. We have been dealing with this account for two years and immediately disputed with EX citing "unauthorized charge" and included the following message: Called Directv on 8/6/2015 to cancel service. Spoke with [agent name], ID# [#####]. Immediately signed with Dish and have proof of service at that time. Directv continued to run service for another few weeks. EX resolved the dispute within a few hours with reason DELETED, but we have not gotten an alert yet that he got his points back.

Actual Utilization: 33%

Official Scores (me): EQ 676 (+18); TU 679 (+12); EX 641 (+18)
Official Scores (DH): EQ 682; TU  682; EX 634 (-31)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.