Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baffled why PRA says they won’t sue me over account still within SOL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Baffled why PRA says they won’t sue me over account still within SOL

I have an old Cap One account that is owed $705, DoFD 7/2014 that Portfolio Recovery has been reporting on my credit for a couple years now.  They try to call all the time and I just ignore them (wild out of state numbers that I would never call) and they never leave a message so it’s pretty easy to ignore.  They’re collection efforts seem legit enough based on the data on my report and bills mailed, including account number, original creditor, balance owed etc.  HOWEVER, the state I live in has a 6 year SOL for everything.  Yet on their statements, there is the statement they are required to put on accounts they don’t intend to sue for.  “The law limits how long you can be sued in a debt.  Because of the age of your debt, we will not sue you for it.  Depending on the laws of your state, certain actions, such as making a payment or promising to pay the debt, may restart the time period for the filing of a lawsuit against you; but even if that were the case, we still will not sue you on this debt.”

My question is purely WHY NOT?  Of course I don’t want to be sued, but why wouldn’t they if it hasn’t blown the SOL yet?  Anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed with this?  I want it off my credit and know that simply paying it will only show that it’s paid as I know from others posts they won’t do PFD.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Baffled why PRA says they won’t sue me over account still within SOL

Did you move since you opened that account? Usually they'll sue you in the state you opened the account. If you moved, they have to localise it in the new jurisdiction. If you did move, they either don't know, or it's not worth tthe time and/or money to persue.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OP to use your words in part. Simply paying the debt WILL remove it from your credit reports. PRA has a new credit reporting policy. I suggest going to their website.
Message 3 of 7
Rf32222
New Contributor

PRA does pfd as of October 18 . Had a 471$ Cap 1 come off all 3 bureaus last month.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow SERIOUSLY?! Will totally check that out! Why the change with them? Thanks for the info!
Message 5 of 7
Rf32222
New Contributor

Not exactly sure why. I've been trying to get this done for 2 years. I was reading post and started to see a few things pop up about this and called, after speaking to a csr was informed they do pfd even on settled accounts. I also checked website and it is stated under Frequently asked questions. Good Luck
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My guess is they found that the number one complaint they received was the tradeline and the lasting impact it has. Or maybe they did a survey of customers and trade line deletion was the top issue.

I have no idea their revenue, but I would have to think it gets more people to pay them. Inside SOL and outside SOL. heck I wojld pay to get rid of it if I had one with them
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.