Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America CC Charge-off Advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America CC Charge-off Advice?

Hi, 

I have a charge-off on a CC from bank of america which they assigned to a collection agency. I have continued to pay Bank of America based on our payment agreement when my account was 120 days due (a late payment caused it to go to charge off from there) and I have also paid additional beyond our orginal payment agreement. 

Is there a way to get this charge-off removed? I am almost finished paying off the full amount. Was $17K to start and I am at $3K now, which I hope I can pay it in the next 2 months. 

Right now my credit report just shows Bank of America with charge off and balance. It is expected to come off June 2025 per Transunion. 

What approach has worked for others here with this type of item? 

TLDR - BofA charge-off with $17K balance now is almost paid off. Scheduled to come off June 2025. Can I get it off sooner? Reason for it to go to charge off was a payment plan amount overdrafted once and it sent it to charge off. 

Thank you

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Bank of America CC Charge-off Advice?

Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to get an OC to remove their charge off, even if paid in full. Your best bet would be to try to ask for GW removal once it is fully paid off, but that may take a while to work, if ever.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 5
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

My experience with BoA is that they will not budge and/or grant a goodwill removal but I have read a few success stories where the item was removed. I obtained a credit card for an individual to be able to rent cars when traveling but that person defaulted and I didn't find out until the card was already 120-days past due and charged-off. I am very happy it was only $429.00 and I paid it in full thinking BoA would remove the item and it's been a no go since June 2019. TU removed the CO but EX and EQ hasn't so far. That one adverse item is causing a 100-point dip in my EX score as there are no other adverse items on any CR. I'm not going to give up on the the remaining CRAs and trying to get the item purged before 12/2022. 

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

On a positive note, I had a similar situation with Merrick Bank. I was paying a collection agency that didn't report as a collection, but the delinquent amount was still reporting about Merrick. It just hit as "paid", and I got an extreme credit score boost. Now two of my FICO 8 scores are "good", and my mortgage scores are up as well!
Message 4 of 5
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Merrick Bank paid collection . . . the collections can really reduce our credit scores . . . I wish that I would have known all this many years ago . . . but we can still water and grow!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.