Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America GW help

tag
blondie_keen
New Contributor

Bank of America GW help

Bank of America gave me my very first CC back in 2003 just after I graduated and after just 6 months or so of on time payments they upped my limit to $1000! Things were good until I got sick and had to stop working and drop out of school (horrible anxiety attacks). Suddenly I didn't have any income coming in and was too afraid to tell my mom I was missing my payments so my account went 60 days delinquent before my mom found out everything and made me call them up. They agreed to close my account and I would pay off the $1000 I owed (after my mom paid $600 in extra fees!!!) I finally paid it off 1 1/2 or so ago and thought nothing of how it was impacting my credit.

Fast forward to now. I am trying to get back on track and understand my credit and fix my past mistakes. What can I do here with this CC? Do I ask them to forgive the 60 days late or what? I would like to be extended credit with them in the future so I want to get/stay on their good side.

ps. the bureau's are stating a date open: 05-2003

balance date: 08-2007

prior delinquency:06-07 of 2005

Is this impacting my score big time or is it too small a deal to worry about now? Please let me know what you would do if you were in my position.

Thanks!

ps. how should i format the gw letter- just look at the examples available here??

MAY 2009 FICO SCORES

EQ 639
TU 647
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bank of America GW help

I probably would call BofA and ask for 2 things: 1) to reopen the account - and they might. and 2) out of goodwill would you remove the lates. If they say no to both, I'd probably wait a day or two and call again. If still no, then I'd probably GW for the late and call to reopen in the future.
Message 2 of 6
blondie_keen
New Contributor

thanks! i never would have thought about asking them to re-open my acct. i will call this week and keep you updated.

*crossing my fingers* 

MAY 2009 FICO SCORES

EQ 639
TU 647
Message 3 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

good luck to you!  Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a heads up - this probably doesn't apply much to you because the account is already closed so they can't do too much, but before sending out a GW letter you need to be aware that anything you ask them to do will result in them doing a full pull of your report, and if they find anything negative on it, they will act out of that.

IE - I had one 30 day late with Bank of America and when I sent in a GW letter they saw a settled CC on my history and closed my CC immediately, screwing up my credit further pretty badly. They won't open or take any course of action with a settled card.

That being said, this post was more of an FYI for you in the future, and a heads up for everyone else reading.

Good luck though!

Message 5 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

My expereince with BofA is BAD.  I hope they do a GW but there hasnt been a lot of sucesss in this forum with them.
Message Edited by marty56 on 11-17-2008 01:49 PM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.