cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Goodwill Denied - What to do next to rebuild credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America Goodwill Denied - What to do next to rebuild credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

Dear Mr. Moynihan,

I am writing to you today regarding my credit card account #XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX which I had while I was an undergraduate student at [prior university]. I opened my first credit card account with Bank of America (BoA) to further prove my value to you as a consumer. I have been a Bank Of America cardholder since 2014 and I have had great experiences with my accounts. It was brought to my attention by a Bank of America customer service representative that I was significantly late on payments on the credit card previously mentioned. Despite my unfavorable circumstances and financial hardships, I gathered my outside funds and immediately paid off the balance of $536.59, in full, and closed the account, at the discretion of my parents’ request. Recognizing the impact this would have on my credit worthiness, I pulled my first credit report. My credit report currently shows several late payments from June 2019 to November 2019, including a 30-day, two 60-day, two 90-day, and a whopping 120-day late payment. Thus, I am writing to kindly request that you consider making a "goodwill" adjustment to your reporting to the three credit agencies, in regards to the late payments.

While being a student in chemical engineering, recent accounting courses I’ve taken at [XXX Community College] have taught me the importance of one’s credit report and financial performance. A key lesson I learned is how creditors evaluate a credit profile based on one’s collateral, income, payment history, character, and other factors. With some education in personal finance, I understood that poor financial management and bad credit rating can affect one’s ability to obtain a mortgage or credit lines.

Based on my long-standing payment history, I would like you to consider removing the late payments from my credit report. During this period, I withdrew out of my prior university to transfer to another university, which resulted in insufficient funds from making payments for outstanding fees, loss of campus housing and my work-study jobs. Last month, I realized that the late payments were not a good indicator of my credit worthiness. Thankfully, an appointment with [XXXX], a BoA relationship manager, introduced me to Better Money Habits, a financial education seminar that is helping me focus on evaluating financial decisions, developing a personalized blueprint for my financial goals, and practicing better financial habits. Such habits include signing up for automatic payments that I intend to apply for future BoA credit lines. With having to soon apply for housing, my credit report will be looked at and final decisions will depend on my credit history. I ask you for a courtesy gesture on erasing these late payments from my credit reports.

I would like to stress that I am not disputing this information and what is currently being reported is accurate. I accept that I have missed payments and that I take full responsibility. I’ve had exceptional experiences in the past and seek to continue a long relationship with BoA as a responsible cardholder. I would like to thank you for your time and consideration of my request, and I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Deus-Ex_Veritas

Good job posting this up here. My initial impressions:

* the tone is pretty good: not whiny; not entitled; is respectful; 

* the argument is missing: there's no compelling reason to remove the lates;

* the message is unfocused: quite a bit of redundancy;

* a complete rewrite is in order.

A couple of things I learned from my GW experience with WF that I expect are (mostly, if not entirely) transferable to other lenders:

* some/many lenders carte blanche policy is to make no GW adjustments although they will consider requests that involve a "catastrophe." This catastrophe is often (some more loosely than others) defined as a naturally occuring disaster (think: earthquake, hurricane, etc). 

* many/most lenders standard rebuttal is "we are required by contractual (legal) agreement to ONLY report accurate information to the CRA and, as such, we are unable to honor your request ..."

I learned this by starting my GW campaign with a series of phone calls. Once escalated to the Executive Office I got a very nice lady who kindly explained to me why my situation did not apply. No, it didn't. But I learned how I would need to reshape my situation subsequently.

So I would suggest in your rewrite you consider the need to overcome these two obstacles: 1) they don't want to help you; 2) they will argue "our hands are tied."

So your task is two-fold: 1) Untie their hands; 2) Make them want to help you.

Your odds of success will be improved if you can incorporate a "catastrophe." And then add to that a lovely "asking" tone, plus the rebuttal that "I would never ask you to report inaccurate information to the CRA in violation of your agreement" only that "you not report anything at all." Which, by the way, they frequently do without provocation. 

A couple of other tips: 

* keep it short & clean (edit, edit, edit);

* tell no (discernable) lies -- you need to come across as fully authentic;

* blow no smoke up their a_____;

* make your case emotionally without sounding pathetic;

* win the argument of why you should get GW relief.

Good luck.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios I find your encouraging words to be very uplifting supportive, as I've taken a step back in the past few days to gather my thoughts and think on my next actions to take. I've certainly had past tendencies to quickly move forward or take rather hasty actions to rectify various problems, as that's a shortcoming I'm currently working on. But speaking of rebuilding, I was most curious to know what you think might be a good action to take in my journey towards rebuilding my credit? I ask this because, surprisingly, I recently received a notification of my FICO 8 score (Experian) raised up to 677.

@James_A

@Anonymous wrote:

Good job posting this up here. My initial impressions:

* the tone is pretty good: not whiny; not entitled; is respectful; 

* the argument is missing: there's no compelling reason to remove the lates;

* the message is unfocused: quite a bit of redundancy;

* a complete rewrite is in order.

A couple of things I learned from my GW experience with WF that I expect are (mostly, if not entirely) transferable to other lenders:

* some/many lenders carte blanche policy is to make no GW adjustments although they will consider requests that involve a "catastrophe." This catastrophe is often (some more loosely than others) defined as a naturally occuring disaster (think: earthquake, hurricane, etc). 

* many/most lenders standard rebuttal is "we are required by contractual (legal) agreement to ONLY report accurate information to the CRA and, as such, we are unable to honor your request ..."

I learned this by starting my GW campaign with a series of phone calls. Once escalated to the Executive Office I got a very nice lady who kindly explained to me why my situation did not apply. No, it didn't. But I learned how I would need to reshape my situation subsequently.

So I would suggest in your rewrite you consider the need to overcome these two obstacles: 1) they don't want to help you; 2) they will argue "our hands are tied."

So your task is two-fold: 1) Untie their hands; 2) Make them want to help you.

Your odds of success will be improved if you can incorporate a "catastrophe." And then add to that a lovely "asking" tone, plus the rebuttal that "I would never ask you to report inaccurate information to the CRA in violation of your agreement" only that "you not report anything at all." Which, by the way, they frequently do without provocation. 

A couple of other tips: 

* keep it short & clean (edit, edit, edit);

* tell no (discernable) lies -- you need to come across as fully authentic;

* blow no smoke up their a_____;

* make your case emotionally without sounding pathetic;

* win the argument of why you should get GW relief.

Good luck.

Wow, I am thrilled to see your thorough analysis on the contents of my letter! I can understand now, from the perspective you've explained, why most lenders wouldn't really seek to help customers in situations such as this. I'm rather surprised to learn that undertaking GW campaigns can sometimes backfire in lenders reporting more negative information to CRAs. And it's interesting that you mentioned a "catastrophe" serving as an extenuating circumstance, because there was actually one personal emergency in my family that did render as a rather pressing circumstance, but I didn't include in my letter out of respect and privacy.

But you pointed out that one of the key issues regarding my letter was that it had no argument in that, along with an unclear message. I can understand certain areas in my letter where I did go a bit redundant, but I'm somewhat confused by what you describe as an argument being ultimately compelling reasoning to successfully convince the recipient. I've usually written letters that don't strictly focus on getting the audience's attention via emotion, but is emotional appeal & sympathy/empathy essentially the strongest method in scenarios such as this GW letter campaign? I find it rather difficult on how I should establish my case emotionally without arousing pity.

Message 12 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Well, your lates are fairly recent, so I'd advise you against applying at this time.

I dont know if you have any open loans, but down the road, a small secured loan may be a good idea. 

The other really important part is putting money in savings. Start with realistic goal, something small, and move it up as you go.

Be good to the accounts that you have. Set autopay just in case, use your cards like you normally would, but always pay in full because your lates are recent and to lenders indicate financial distress. 

Avoid carrying balances till those lates are at least two years old. 

Join a good credit union. Some are very forgiving of CR baddies and can be very useful when it comes to products such as loans and mortgages.

It's easier when you're already a member.

Keep hammering those letters, dont get discouraged, and take breaks. 

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... I'm somewhat confused by what you describe as an argument being ultimately compelling reasoning to successfully convince the recipient. I've usually written letters that don't strictly focus on getting the audience's attention via emotion, but is emotional appeal & sympathy/empathy essentially the strongest method in scenarios such as this GW letter campaign? I find it rather difficult on how I should establish my case emotionally without arousing pity.

My thoughts on the necessity of Argument and Emotion in a GW letter:

* Most GW letters do not "deserve" to be successful, by "objective" criteria -- ie, I paid late because of a life event(s) that does not rise to the level of a catastrophe (earthquake, flood, hurricane, etc.) that might cause almost anyone to pay late. 

* Therefore I am asking for a favor; and in the WF example I cited earlier, the details of my GW request did not meet the (stringent) internal criteria of WF necessary to grant a GW request. Yet they granted mine.

* I needed to write such a letter that a stranger might read it and say "It doesn't quite fit our guidelines but, you know what, it's close enough," and grant my request. That's what happened. And that, I contend, is an emotional response. "I want to help this person and I will bend the rules to do so." I define that as an emotional response. The reader of my letter does not know me but, through my letter, they can imagine me, imagine my circumstances, imagine my pain/suffering. Most importantly, after reading my letter the reader WANTS to help. 

* Adding an argument to the letter is adding a means of justification for the reader, in the event they are unable to construct a good enough one of their own. In other words, it's the reason they can argue FOR granting my request should they ever be called on it (or to assuage their own conscience). 

Does that make a bit more sense now? 

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone, apologies for my absence on this, I had sudden family matters that preoccupied my time last month.

@James_A Ah, I see now what you mean with respect to the need for a compelling argument that serves to garner an emotional response. It makes sense to me, from the perspective of a stranger reading such a request, how framing the letter in that format helps to convince said stranger to provide the necessary assistance.

Well, in the midst of what transpired between last month and now, I can't say that I've reached any good news yet, as of today:

I sent out another round of GW letters to both Bank of America and Comenity Bank, only this time, I went into detail of a rather unfortunate family emergency situation that I clarified in my letter, along with providing some form of medical documentation to perhaps serve as evidence of said emergency described in my letters. Unfortunately, I received mail from BoA earlier this evening, which stated the exact same response they sent out to me back in January.  The response they provided was "We've completed our review of your recent inquiry regarding your account...We've completed our investigation and have confirmed the info is accurate. We didn't identify any payment record errors related to this account. As such, the delinquency is valid."

I even sent one via email to the CEO, as a backup (should I not receive a response), but I did miss a call from their Credit Report Escalation Team this past Friday that I've since have yet to hear back from. Part of me isn't surprised at all, but I am still somewhat dumbfounded that, even with provided documentation, a negative response was still met. I've yet to hear back from Comenity Bank regarding the GW letters I sent them, but on a realistic level, I'm honestly already expecting the same response BoA sent me. I'm not sure whether what I'm asking for is too much, or if I'm still not providing a convincing letter to them.

I know that continuing to send GW letters to them is really the "only" option I have for any chance at removing the late payments, but from what I can surmise, I sincerely think that I am "stuck" with respect to potential lines of credit in the future. I feel as though lenders, aside from BoA, will not even dare consider my future requests for credit due to the status of the serious delinquency brought about by the late payments, all of which are relatively recent. Not only that, but I think that my thin credit history, due to the length of time my accounts were created, does me no good as well. However, I've been getting a surprising amount of mail from Capital One & Discover for pre-qualified offers for the Platinum and the Discover IT cards.

I'm grateful for everyone who's helped provide some insight and tips for focusing on establishing autopay features, ample savings, and I'm no rush (per se) to go for a mortgage loan or a car loan, but what should I really do in this situation? Not having a credit card to help showcase on-time payments makes me feel somewhat helpless, so I'm really wondering how to properly move forward.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a minor update that I'd like to share with you guys regarding my GW campaign with the creditors aforementioned. So, apparently, I received 2 letters from Comenity Bank, wherein one is a duplicate of the other. The actual letter response I received from them stated that they received the correspondence I sent to John Marion, the CEO of Comenity Bank. They mentioned that while they are sorry for the unfortunate circumstances I endured, along with their condolences, they still firmly declined to remove the delinquencies from my credit report. It went on to repeat the matter of having to report the account correctly to the credit reporting agencies, according to law, which I already understand.

But what's interesting is that they provided a brief summary of the recent billing history that is associated with the late payments, including the last balance that I PIF. This was not in the previous letter responses I received from the first wave of GW letters. What is new to me, however, is that on this specific letter, they stated that I can submit a "consumer statement to the credit reporting agencies". This is what I don't really understand. It was noted that as an option, I can consider submitting the statement explaining the reasons why the accounts became past due, but it was also stated that the statement "will not change your credit rating; it will explain to other potential creditors why the accounts became past due, and it may contribute to their decision". What does it all mean exactly? I get the feeling that this somehow seems like submitting a dispute to the CRAs, but it doesn't completely resemble that. Does this mean that removing the delinquencies and all of my GW letters at this point are moot?

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone, I came across some good news and some bad news since my efforts to get rid of my baddies. The good news is that I initiated online disputes with Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax 3 weeks ago on the negative derogatories that were on my open credit" account for Comenity Bank / J Crew, seeking to just verify all information on my credit file and so forth. Apparently, I recently received email updates from EX and TU saying that, upon conclusion of their investigations, the dispute results came and that my account was updated to be "open/never late"! I checked my payment history for it, and lo and behold, the 30 & 60 day lates (from 2018) on the account were deleted! However, I haven't heard news yet from EQ, and I didn't see any change in my credit score for EX and TU, which got me somewhat confused, because I figured my FICO scores would've updated instantly from the changes, right? Or do the credit bureaus take like 30-60 days to update the scores?

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.