cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy and student loans: Where to start?

tag

Bankruptcy and student loans: Where to start?

Hi all! Last month, I posted about my current situation in the bankruptcy forum (https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Rebuilding-After-Bankruptcy-Dismissal/td-p/6...). Long story short, my chapter 13 was dismissed in August of last year and I'm trying to rebuild my credit in any way, shape or form. Unfortunately, my Experian FICO is 519 and I don't even qualify for a Discover secured card. From what I gather, that just has to "live" on my report for however long until time just does its thing.

However, there is some pretty big student loan debt on my file which is really what seems to be dragging me down. I was about to call them today to work on some type of repayment plan but wanted some advice before doing so. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on this? I'm not sure what I'm looking for or if it's pretty straight forward, but I just need to get some positive reporting from these agencies. "Student loan permanently assigned to government" so I don't think they are owned by US Dept of Education any longer, although I'll have to call to confirm who owns the debt now. Are these agencies ever willing to lower your balance if you start making payments per month? I'm self-employed and don't make a ton of money so I don't want to put myself under in trying to attack this on the road to improvement.

Thanks so much for ANY help!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy and student loans: Where to start?

Hi there! So a few things here...

1-was your bankruptcy dismissed or discharged??? HUGE difference.

2-thanks to Covid, ALL student loans are currently in deferment or forbearance due to the pandemic. I think it's that way until September. After that, contact  the servicer and try to get in an income based repayment plan to get everything on track.

3-apply with Open Sky for a secured card; there's no hard pull for it and you're guaranteed the account

While your scores are low, it isn't the end of the road. I was where you are last year and I'm now firmly in the 700 club with a few high limit credit cards from reputable financial institutions. Hard work and discipline is the name of this game and you CAN turn this around!

Keep us posted on your progress and best of luck to you! 🙃

Message 2 of 4

It was dismissed. I had fallen behind on payments and long story short, didn't actually need to continue it any longer (my car was the majority of the debt included and it got paid off in a settlement), so it was advised to just let it get dismissed.

I had read some things about applying for loan rehabilitation with the current servicer, getting a track record of 9 payments and once it's no longer in default status, figure out a payment plan that works with the new lender / servicer. Is rehab the better option than just making random payments?

It's promising to hear someone in a similar position as me. I would LOVE to have acceptable credit next year at this time. This has been dragging me down for so long (my own fault) and need to make changes!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lastchapter_AM wrote:

It was dismissed. I had fallen behind on payments and long story short, didn't actually need to continue it any longer (my car was the majority of the debt included and it got paid off in a settlement), so it was advised to just let it get dismissed.

I had read some things about applying for loan rehabilitation with the current servicer, getting a track record of 9 payments and once it's no longer in default status, figure out a payment plan that works with the new lender / servicer. Is rehab the better option than just making random payments?

It's promising to hear someone in a similar position as me. I would LOVE to have acceptable credit next year at this time. This has been dragging me down for so long (my own fault) and need to make changes!

Making random payments will do nothing for your situations with the SLs. The will still remain defaulted, you will still have an enormous collections fees there (which if they are in fact with the US Dept of ED will be reversed likely or if not possibly reduced significantly) and they will still take your tax returns, etc. They will haunt you forever. Thise payments will only be covering the collection costs and not even touch the principle.

*trust me* 

I have MANY SLs, some 20 years old, that I let spiral out of control and rehabing them is your best option. I honestly wouldn't even suggest paying them off if you could because all of the derogatory accounts will remain (meaning not only the original TLs, but also the CAs). Just do the rehab programs and when you finish at least the CAs will come off. Right now, they dont even expect the rehab payments if they are in fact direct loans or through the US Dept of ED!

I had only FFEL loans, no direct loans since they are so old. Currently 11 (6+ were consolidated into 1, plus the additional 10 SLs), so only 4 SLs are with the US dept of ED and the rest are with private servicers. Fact is the ones with the US Dept of ED require no payments if in a rehab program through Sept!

If you dont make a lot of money, that will actually benefit you. Payments are as low as $5/mo for rehab and you need to make those 9 payments (and possibly $0 through September and that is 4 months right there to get back on track!).

Just keep tabs when the rehab payments are done where your loans go and be ready to immediately set up some sort of IBR plan so you don't get caught with payments larger than you can handle and spiral with late payments again and such.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.