cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy was removed from credit report and my score dropped! im confused.

tag
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

Bankruptcy was removed from credit report and my score dropped! im confused.

Hi All,

So in 2012 we filed a Chapter 13 BK and over 5 years we paid all of our debts off 100%, and owed 0 at the end if it. We received our discharge in 2017. Since then, we have rebuilt our credit and even purchased a new home and new a new car. Things are going wonderful. Today i get notice from my fico that the BK-13 was removed from our credit report..yippeee..wait? what? my score dropped. How can that be when one of the worse things you can have on your report is removed??? Can anyone shed some light on this baffling occurance?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy was removed from credit report and my score dropped! im confused.

Well,  you wanted better credit - now you got it... Smiley Wink

Sounds like a case of scorecard reassignment ('rebucketing').   Now that your bankruptcy is removed, you are no longer in the scoring bucket with others that have public records on their reports; instead, you are in a new bucket being compared to folks with no public records -- and these folks may have better overall profiles than you, which places you at the bottom or middle of that bucket instead of the top, lowering your score.   Their profiles may be better simply due to age of accounts.  From your post, I gather most of your accounts are 2 years or less in age,  so that is also a factor.   

The good thing is that you have a new high ceiling for score growth as they will no longer be weighed down by the bankruptcy and your overall profile is vastly improved.   You just need to give it time, keep maintaining your current credit and your scores will rebound.   

Don't be sad; I know how you feel - I recently had my very last derog removed giving me clean reports and my scores dropped too (greatest loss being 30 points), but I know i'm better off because a clean report with slightly lower scores is better than a dirty report with higher scores any day.   

Congratulations!!

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 4
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy was removed from credit report and my score dropped! im confused.

You really made sense of it for me. Now i feel much better. Smiley Very Happy

@thornback wrote:

Well,  you wanted better credit - now you got it... Smiley Wink

Sounds like a case of scorecard reassignment ('rebucketing').   Now that your bankruptcy is removed, you are no longer in the scoring bucket with others that have public records on their reports; instead, you are in a new bucket being compared to folks with no public records -- and these folks may have better overall profiles than you, which places you at the bottom or middle of that bucket instead of the top, lowering your score.   Their profiles may be better simply due to age of accounts.  From your post, I gather most of your accounts are 2 years or less in age,  so that is also a factor.   

The good thing is that you have a new high ceiling for score growth as they will no longer be weighed down by the bankruptcy and your overall profile is vastly improved.   You just need to give it time, keep maintaining your current credit and your scores will rebound.   

Don't be sad; I know how you feel - I recently had my very last derog removed giving me clean reports and my scores dropped too (greatest loss being 30 points), but I know i'm better off because a clean report with slightly lower scores is better than a dirty report with higher scores any day.   

Congratulations!!

Thank you,

Dawn

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Yup, you have now been rebucketed into the group that does not have a public record on their credit report. Over time and with good use of credit you will gain Fico points. Grats on the removal.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.