cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays and more - when it rains it pours.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays and more - when it rains it pours.

Well, as a result of the mess with California Franchise Tax Board last month, my $500 payment to barclays got reversed a couple weeks back. So now California is paid, and I have my US Bank account back, but my Barclays card went overlimit by a couple hundred bucks. Statement balance on 8/3 was $2137 (limit is $1930) Ugh! On top of that my car is broken. Bad gear noise emanating from the transfer case. Its still driveable but certainly not reliable in any sense of the word (fortunately I have the use of a loaner). To top it all off, an old $9k medical bill from 2010 for the wife just rose up in an ugly way by way of a summons filed just a few days before SOL would have expired. I called them to make arrangements for a payment plan... Don't know for sure if they are going to back off on the suit though. I told them flat out that if they come after my paychecks via garnishment I will have no choice but to file for BK.

August is not turning out to be a good month....

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays and more - when it rains it pours.

This too shall pass.  Let's go over the bright side:

got a loaner car. You have transport.

Got back in with US Bank. 

Barclays may be over limit, but it's not Charged Off!

Taxes are paid.

Offered a payment plan so those sneaky S o Bs hopefully drop any suits. 

I believe in you Norman. This too shall pass.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This too shall pass.  Let's go over the bright side:

got a loaner car. You have transport.

Got back in with US Bank. 

Barclays may be over limit, but it's not Charged Off!

Taxes are paid.

Offered a payment plan so those sneaky S o Bs hopefully drop any suits. 

I believe in you Norman. This too shall pass.

Yeah, I may have to look at getting a P/T job on the weekends to help get caught up again. Things have really gotten out of control since the house purchase.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also worried that Barclays may start balance chasing me.... That would really suck.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also worried that Barclays may start balance chasing me.... That would really suck.

1. You have a house. Major accomplishment.  Testimony to your survival and savvy.

2.  Well, ironically you're over the limit right now, correct?  So...at the moment they can't balance chase you! 

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, as a result of the mess with California Franchise Tax Board last month, my $500 payment to barclays got reversed a couple weeks back. So now California is paid, and I have my US Bank account back, but my Barclays card went overlimit by a couple hundred bucks. Statement balance on 8/3 was $2137 (limit is $1930) Ugh! On top of that my car is broken. Bad gear noise emanating from the transfer case. Its still driveable but certainly not reliable in any sense of the word (fortunately I have the use of a loaner). To top it all off, an old $9k medical bill from 2010 for the wife just rose up in an ugly way by way of a summons filed just a few days before SOL would have expired. I called them to make arrangements for a payment plan... Don't know for sure if they are going to back off on the suit though. I told them flat out that if they come after my paychecks via garnishment I will have no choice but to file for BK.

Hi Norman.  Sorry about this not being a good month.  Have you considered applying for a firestone card.  I was able to get one with a TU similar to yours and 3 collections reporting at the time.  My starting limit with them was $900 and when I actually went to use it, the raised it to $1400 and they offer 6 months 0% financing.  A couple of months ago, my niece needed new brakes and a wheel bearing replaced.  Sure did come in handy.  I know you'll get this situation resolved; you're very good at solving problems.  You've helped us all so tremendously over the years. 

Message 6 of 16
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

So sorry to hear of your recent bad luck streak , this sucks BUT you can and will make it thru all of this . And come out even better on the other side! Sorry I didn't read the orginal post about the Cali tax thing what was that all about ?
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Norman, did the CA agree to the payment plan? Although they can still file suit they can't garnish if they agree to a payment plan as long as you stick to the plan and pay as agreed.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you reside in California? Or some other state? Have you move in the interim? It's possible the 6 year SOL may not be applicable.

Furthermore, the legal SOL often won't be the same as what's shown on credit reports. If the creditor is basing the time tolling solely on CRA data, the debt was likely past SOL already. Regardless, if it appears the SOL is very close / past based on old past-due bills, etc you have in your possession, consider responding to the summons indicating the debt is time barred. Then the ball is in their court to document otherwise. They may choose to drop the matter. Worth a try with little to no downside risk.

BK will be far more damaging than a public record that can likely be avoided (if paid prior to judgement) or later removed / vacated. Also, there are proposed changes in how CRAs compile and utilize PR data, which could be very advantageous for debtors in the future.

Wage garnishment is limited in most jurisdictions. However, with an important caveat. Don't have your paycheck deposited into a bank account. Get the physical check and cash at a Wal-Mart (relatively inexpensive and simple) or even easier, get a Wal-Mart pre-paid card on-line (get the black one; costs around $4 - physical card is mailed in about a week) and have your pay deposited onto that. Not 100% ironclad, but greatly reduces the odds of additional garnishment beyond the statutory limit for earned wages.

KayKay65 is spot on about the Firestone card. Alternatively, depending on the repair shop you use / have nearby, consider a Goodyear card issued by Citibank. Also, very easy to get. Low 600s with even high util (heck, I think I was around 50% total at the time for both) will often get approved. $1K or so SL minimum is typical even for limited credit profiles with baddies. Both Firestone and Goodyear have 6-12 months 0% deferred interest financing.

Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you reside in California? Or some other state? Have you move in the interim? It's possible the 6 year SOL may not be applicable. Oregon. Medical debt was from the very first month here - 7/2010. Six year SOL here.

Furthermore, the legal SOL often won't be the same as what's shown on credit reports. If the creditor is basing the time tolling solely on CRA data, the debt was likely past SOL already. Regardless, if it appears the SOL is very close / past based on old past-due bills, etc you have in your possession, consider responding to the summons indicating the debt is time barred. Then the ball is in their court to document otherwise. They may choose to drop the matter. Worth a try with little to no downside risk. They are going by dates of service which are listed on the summons. Earliest listed date was 7/18/2010, which coincides exactly with the date we moved and when she went to the ER, so that date is accurate. What is questionable is the filing date. The court website lists it as 7/20/2016, which would put that one item past SOL by two days, however when I brought that up with them on the phone, they claim they filed on 7/14/2016. Seems like a good chance that I may get that one excluded, which would knock close to $4k off the total.  

BK will be far more damaging than a public record that can likely be avoided (if paid prior to judgement) or later removed / vacated. Also, there are proposed changes in how CRAs compile and utilize PR data, which could be very advantageous for debtors in the future. True, but if they garnish my wages I will be left with no other alternative.

Wage garnishment is limited in most jurisdictions. However, with an important caveat. Don't have your paycheck deposited into a bank account. Get the physical check and cash at a Wal-Mart (relatively inexpensive and simple) or even easier, get a Wal-Mart pre-paid card on-line (get the black one; costs around $4 - physical card is mailed in about a week) and have your pay deposited onto that. Not 100% ironclad, but greatly reduces the odds of additional garnishment beyond the statutory limit for earned wages. Oregon allows 25% of post tax earnings - been there, done that. That would amount to about $650 a month. I simply would not be able to keep up with my household bills with that much being taken.

KayKay65 is spot on about the Firestone card. Alternatively, depending on the repair shop you use / have nearby, consider a Goodyear card issued by Citibank. Also, very easy to get. Low 600s with even high util (heck, I think I was around 50% total at the time for both) will often get approved. $1K or so SL minimum is typical even for limited credit profiles with baddies. Both Firestone and Goodyear have 6-12 months 0% deferred interest financing. Unfortunately, with the overlimit account, and Cap One being near maxxed out, my TU has tanked to 587. Pretty sure the Firestone card is a nonstarter at this point. I should have tried for it a couple months back.

Good news is work just announced they are opening up the OT spigot for the next few months, possibly till April. 8 to 16 hrs of OT a week (thats about $200-$400 extra per week net) would take a nice bite out of the CC balances....

Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.