cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be Careful - Experian can be confusing. They made a big mistake!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be Careful - Experian can be confusing. They made a big mistake!

I filed bankruptcy in 2014 and have been working on my credit ever since.  My score is currently at 650.

However, back in February of 2018, I noticed something odd on my Experian report once I started to really pay close attention.

Experian listed a charge off/90+ days late on a credit card that was a part of my bankruptcy. My cards at the time were all current...(I filed for IRS business debt)

So, I went through the dispute process which was kind of wonky...After the process, it didn't look like Experian made a correction. I was upset, and just kind of dropped the issue. So using the service here on myfico.com, my reports constantly say my payment history is good...except for this 90+day missed payment.

Yesterday, tired of looking at this, and having forgotten about the Experian dispute I decided to look at this again. I wanted to see the SOURCE of information. So I ended up on Experian's membership site to see my report. That negative account was listed. So basically, I am going through the redispute process (how can a sole credit card filed under bankruptcy end up on my report as a chargeoff and 90 days late when it was always current!!??)

Here is the crazy thing...I got transfered to the dispute department. They basically were like, **bleep** are you talking about? Your report was updated. I see ZERO late payments. I argued that I am looking at the negative mark. After speaking to several people they helped me figure it out -- My real deal Experian report was corrected -- But the subscription service that still shows the negative NEVER updated!!!!

So, myfico.com is pulling that late payment/charge-off from Experian's subscription service, not my actually Experian report!

The Experian subscription service said it is a known issue that happens quite a bit and they will update thier report, which will now update myfico...so that means I SHOULD get a decent FICO score bump once that charge-off is removed.

Crazy...my FICO score has been incorrect for some time...Some of this was my responsibility, but it so so confusing...At least this ends up being a good story!

33 REPLIES 33
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Be Careful - Experian can be confusing. They made a big mistake!

Note tht the FCRA actually includes a provision to deal with the issue of whether or not your actual credit file has been updated to show the results of a resolved dispute.   

When the CRA sends the formal document that provides the results of a dispute, called the Notice of Results of Reinvestigation, then FCRA 611(a)(6)(B)(ii) requires that if a dispute results in the correction or deletion of information, then the CRA must include a copy of a revised credit report that includes the changes or deletion.

The entire intent of that provision is to address the issue raised in the post of whether the consumer's file actually has been revised.

Message 2 of 34
kiea
Frequent Contributor

I have had the same issue with Experian. I tried to explain the issue to the representatives various times but they kept telling me it is being reported correctly. I haven't been late on any on my accounts since 4/2017 but they are showing a charge-off status on a paid account. It updated 2 months ago. My score dropped because now it shows as last late 2 months ago.

Experian representatives are idiots.
Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 3 of 34
calyx
Super Contributor

In my experience, Experian is pretty much the worst.   I've had some issues with Equifax, but they all seem to stem from them being overly cautious, whereas EX is just... inept.
I've gone through both the CSR/Supervisors and have done things through the mail, and in the end, I've got accounts reporting delinquencies that don't exist (including lates months after the account was paid off), and in one case they reset my DOFD back a few months (so EE from EX is actually after EQs fall off).   TU and EQ are not reporting the same erroneous information, so I'm fairly certain it's not coming from the account holders.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your comment about the other bureaus not having the error...kind of puzzling for me. How could they stick an account on my report 90+ days late and a charge off when that NEVER happened? Weird.
Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on your post, I too find things strange with Experian.  My issue is that my score hasn’t moved any since March and I don’t understand why.  I have paid every account on time.  I have received CLI on two cards (automatic), so my available credit has grown,  I have been using the AZEO on my cards and utilization is under 8.9%, absolutely nothing negative has occurred, and while all of that is noted in the report, the score hasn’t increased at all?  How is that possible.  In my mind, I’ve been saying it’s a glitch....

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are your other scores increasing?
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Are your other scores increasing?

Yes. Transunion and Equifax are going up monthly

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have subscriptions to all 3 (I know...) and MyFico. I’ll get an update alert on my phone and it will say something changed and so I go refresh my report on the subscription site and nothing is different. Other times I get changes on Credit Karma that aren’t on the subscription sites or MyFICO. It is so so frustrating because I can’t tell what is accurate and where the info is coming from. Why isn’t the stuff on the subscription sites right?? Ugh. I should cancel them all because I assumed they were accurate.
Message 9 of 34
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I have subscriptions to all 3 (I know...) and MyFico. I’ll get an update alert on my phone and it will say something changed and so I go refresh my report on the subscription site and nothing is different. Other times I get changes on Credit Karma that aren’t on the subscription sites or MyFICO. It is so so frustrating because I can’t tell what is accurate and where the info is coming from. Why isn’t the stuff on the subscription sites right?? Ugh. I should cancel them all because I assumed they were accurate.

Each monitoring service has a different set of triggers (things that initiate an update to a score metric). My Ficos can be found here

https://www1.myfico.com/products/fico-scores-credit-monitoring
Choose #4 under Important Information

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.