Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been Awhile...

tag
Simplyme12
Established Member

Been Awhile...

Hi,

2 weeks ago, a collection (Debt Recover Solution) popped up on my reports. It appears to be from a loan from 2018. I don't remember this loan.

My issue is, I thought collection agencies had to communicate with you before placing items on your report. Is that not true? Also, they put that it was opened with them 11/2022.

How do I communicate with them? Letter, call? I've never had a collection agency never reach out. Any advise would be helpful, thanks! 

🍻 Cheers 🍻 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Been Awhile...

First, in general, yes, they have to speak to you by telephone/in person or they must mail you a letter. My guess is they probably mailed a letter and you never received it/it got lost in the mail/you threw it away.

Secondly, the open date refers to the date they opened their collection account, not the date the original account was opened.

You can communicate with them however you choose. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 5
Simplyme12
Established Member

Thanks. 

I will work up the nerve and give them a call. 

Message 3 of 5

@Simplyme12 wrote:

Hi,

2 weeks ago, a collection (Debt Recover Solution) popped up on my reports. It appears to be from a loan from 2018. I don't remember this loan.

My issue is, I thought collection agencies had to communicate with you before placing items on your report. Is that not true? Also, they put that it was opened with them 11/2022.

How do I communicate with them? Letter, call? I've never had a collection agency never reach out. Any advise would be helpful, thanks! 

🍻 Cheers 🍻 

Since you do not remember this loan, make sure you have them validate the debt before you discuss any payment arrangements. 

Message 4 of 5
Simplyme12
Established Member

@CreditChallenged2022 wrote:

@Simplyme12 wrote:

Hi,

🍻 Cheers 🍻 

Since you do not remember this loan, make sure you have them validate the debt before you discuss any payment arrangements. 

Oh yes. I'm drafting a validation letter right now.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.