Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginning my credit repair journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beginning my credit repair journey

Hi all.

I'm new here. I found this forum when looking for advice on repairing my credit. I'm grateful for the wealth of information found here.

I fell on some hard times about a year ago. I had several credit card accounts and started falling behind to the point where I could no longer afford several of my minimum payments and stopped paying on those accounts altogether. I am now in a position where I can start rebuilding my credit, so looking for advice and support along the way.
I have 11 credit card accounts, 6 of which are either closed, charged off, or sold to a collection agency. The rest I am current on (3 closed with a payment plan, the others still in good standing but virtually maxed out). I would like to get these all taken care of eventually, by settling the charge off accounts and paying off the accounts in good standing.
The accounts I am most concerned with are 2 accounts which have been sold to portfolio recovery, as from what I read here they are difficult to deal with and have an inclination to sue. They have just been sold to them about 6 weeks ago, so I am hoping to take care of them before it comes to that.
Does anyone know about how long it takes for them to sue? Like I said they have just gotten them, and the only communication so far has been an intro letter.
I read that they doing do PFD, so any advice on how to negotiate a settlement so that it can be removed later? Or any other tips inn negotiating with them in general would be appreciated.
As for the other debts, I am wondering if I am better off settling all the delinquent debt first, or paying down my open cards?
With my financial situation as it is, I am hopeful to have all of this resolved in the next year or so.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Beginning my credit repair journey

Welcome to the forums! I highly recommend reading ABCD2199s guide to rebuilding credit here in the forum. It's an excellent read for getting on the rebuild wagon. 

Please list your accounts (amount owed, credit limit, DOFD, etc) and the CA if they have the debt. That way we can see who owns them and help you in how you approach them for a PFD. PRA does sue but there's no way to know if & when it might happen. 

I also recommend getting all three FICO scores and credit reports from credit check total for $1, then cancel your account immediately. This way you have a starting point for your credit journey. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.