Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Repair Books?

tag
BluJay
New Contributor

Best Credit Repair Books?

I'm looking for a credit repair book. Im thinking about buying the "credit repair kit for dummies" book. Any other ideas? Im looking for an all inclusive book that has inquiry and late payment at home removal processes. Please post your best opinion please.

Tier One; 760-850. Tier Two: 700-759. Tier Three: 660-699. Tier Four: 620-659. Tier Five: 580-619. Tier Six: 500-579.
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Credit Repair Books?

Don't waste your money.  You can read all you need to know on this website for free, plus you can ask specific questions here.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 27
BluJay
New Contributor

The site is so huge it's impossible to find the information im looking for. When I do find something it's not exactly what i need. All I want to do is dispute some late payments. Can you provide me a link? Everytime I write a letter to the creditor, they just tell me that the information is correct. It's NOT correct, and i want to try and tell the credit bureau that theres a mistake on the record. I know that if the creditor doesnt respond within 30 days I can ask the credit bureau to remove the discrepancy. But why couldnt I just lie to the bureau and tell them the creditor couldnt provide me with proof and just ask the bureau to remove it? I dont want to hire lexington law but there is no concrete information anywhere. If it was so simple to clean up a late payment, companies like lexington law wouldnt exist for over 20 years. Thank you

Tier One; 760-850. Tier Two: 700-759. Tier Three: 660-699. Tier Four: 620-659. Tier Five: 580-619. Tier Six: 500-579.
Message 3 of 27
BluJay
New Contributor

I dont get why you cant buy a complete idiots guide to credit repair. If all the information is on this website, it has to be in a book. Im going to read "credit repair kit for dummies" and come back to this thread later. 

Message 4 of 27
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@BluJay wrote:

The site is so huge it's impossible to find the information im looking for. When I do find something it's not exactly what i need. All I want to do is dispute some late payments. Can you provide me a link? Everytime I write a letter to the creditor, they just tell me that the information is correct. It's NOT correct, and i want to try and tell the credit bureau that theres a mistake on the record. I know that if the creditor doesnt respond within 30 days I can ask the credit bureau to remove the discrepancy. But why couldnt I just lie to the bureau and tell them the creditor couldnt provide me with proof and just ask the bureau to remove it? I dont want to hire lexington law but there is no concrete information anywhere. If it was so simple to clean up a late payment, companies like lexington law wouldnt exist for over 20 years. Thank you

The CRA's under the FCRA has to investigate and is given 30 days to do so. If after 30 days if the creditor or CA does not respond they could just delete the trade line. If you have proof of not having late payments you can mail the documentation to the CRA's and they will still need to investigate the inaccuracy. 

Message 5 of 27
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@BluJay wrote:

Credit repair companies are not known for doing things in a legal manner.  They will throw disputes for every negative on your report and that isn't right.  The reason companies like Lexington and others still exist is due to non-informed consumers who know no better than to pay someone for something you can do yourself for free and legally.

How are the lates not correct?  Were you not late?  Did the company post them late?

You can do a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8) and they have 30 days to respond to you with their findings.  If you have already disputed with the CRAs you will need to be able to provide evidence and documentation that shows the creditor is in the wrong.  Otherwise they can say the dispute is frivolous.  If they flat out refuse to provide anything or do not respond to the dispute your next step would be to bring suit against them.

Message 6 of 27
sjt
Senior Contributor

@BluJay wrote:

I'm looking for a credit repair book. Im thinking about buying the "credit repair kit for dummies" book. Any other ideas? Im looking for an all inclusive book that has inquiry and late payment at home removal processes. Please post your best opinion please.

Like the other poster mentioned, you can find all the answers on this board.

If you were to buy a credit repair book, I would chekc out Best Credit by Dana Neal and Credit Warefare by S. Louis Blisko.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 27
BluJay
New Contributor

Thank you for all your help

Message 8 of 27
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@starry1 wrote:

Don't waste your money.  You can read all you need to know on this website for free, plus you can ask specific questions here.

I disagree with this. I felt that purchasing a book when I first started was a great move... explained a lot of the finer points of the law and how to handle things.. 

Some people don't get the flow of forums, some people want something with a little more 'formatting' to it. I can respect that you didn't need it, but to say a credit repair book is a waste of money is assuming every one is like you, and they might not be. Some people aren't keen on the internet. Some people don't use the internet often.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 9 of 27
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

@starry1 wrote:

I disagree with this. I felt that purchasing a book when I first started was a great move... explained a lot of the finer points of the law and how to handle things.. 

Some people don't get the flow of forums, some people want something with a little more 'formatting' to it. I can respect that you didn't need it, but to say a credit repair book is a waste of money is assuming every one is like you, and they might not be. Some people aren't keen on the internet. Some people don't use the internet often.

-scott

I somewhat agree.  Just be careful on the book you buy.  Some of them are not good.  Doing some reasearch I found many of the credit repair books tell you to do things that are frowned upon and could lead to worse issues.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.