Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Method to rebuilding?!

tag
jnydc
Contributor

Best Method to rebuilding?!

I have been reviewing the posts on here for a little while, and am getting some conflicting advise. So I wanted to ask -in one location- that all the experienced rebuilders give some guidance.

What is the best path to rebuilding considering my profile: opening a secured card with a company like BoA -or- opening an account and credit line with a credit union?

2009 Credit Portfolio: First Premier 450, Orchard Bank 400

2012 Credit Portfolio: AMEX; Gold, Zync, & Clear 5k
Citi Platinum Select 2k, Home Depot Store (Citi) 4k, Discover More 10k, Barclays Apple 2k, Cap 1 (secured) 2.5k
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Best Method to rebuilding?!

@jnydc wrote:

I have been reviewing the posts on here for a little while, and am getting some conflicting advise. So I wanted to ask -in one location- that all the experienced rebuilders give some guidance.

What is the best path to rebuilding considering my profile: opening a secured card with a company like BoA -or- opening an account and credit line with a credit union?

The best path is to do both, but I would give the edge to secured CC over credit line, regardless of who it is with.

Message 2 of 4
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Hi 

I see you have scores and you are asking what is the best path to take and want opinions, but I don't see anything telling us what you have or don't have now. Basing on the information you have said I couldn't actually tell you much of anything. I do not know if you have a CC or a loan of any type. I do not know how long your credit history is. I do not know if you have balances on your CC's and or loans. I do not know if you have anything negative on your CR's. I do not know if the negatives are late payments 30, 60, 90, 120, or charge off's, or collections, or judgements. I do not know how long you have had the negatives on your CR if you have any.

We really would need more information to make an attempt to offer suggestions.

Good Luck

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Credit rebuilding starts with cleaning up your current credit file.

So its contents are crucial to any advice.

So here is what I suggest:

What to deal with first depends, in my opinion, on the severity and age of each individual derog in your CR.

I would first focus ONLY on your original credtior (OC) accounts.
Under each OC account, list each and every delinquency in your CR by date (e.g., 30/60/90+ ;lates, and any CO)
Underline the first late.  That is, in most cases,  your DOFD for fhat account.

DOLAs are not something I would pay attention to.  They dont reset CR drop off dates.

Then turn to collections.  For each CA, just locate the related DOFD on the OC account that led to the collection or charge-off..

Finally, know your state statute of limitations on each account.

With all of that in hand, you then know when each derog is scheduled to drrop from your CR due to its own age, without any action on your part (i.e., 7 years for each monthly delinwuency on an OC account, and 7 1/2 years from DOFD on the OC account for each CO or CA).

Accounts still within SOL requrie particular attention, as they could result in legal action.

For accounts with unpaid debt, you have four basic options.  If outside of SOL, and you can wait tor their derogs to drop from their CR, you can choose to do nothing.  If you want eariler deltion, you can PFD them.

If still within SOL, take heed!  Those are the accounts that need immediate attention.  You can just pay in full.  That stops the possibility of legal action, but does no result in any deletion of anything they have reported to your CR.  Or you couild offer a PFD.  But that does not do anything, should they either decline, or choose to not evern respond.  IT is a gamble with a potential of CR deletion, but with the risk that they may escalate their actions.  Yuu take your chances.

For accounts that have been paid, you can send then good-will pleas for deletion.

That is the basis for a plan.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.