cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Possible Credit Score with Multiple Collections accounts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Possible Credit Score with Multiple Collections accounts?

I was just wondering what is the best score one could achieve if they have several collections accounts?  I have a home loan that has been perfectly maintained for 8 years. I just recently got a car loan, and a capitol one cc with a $300 limit.  My total accounts in collections are 12.  Around 6 of these will be falling off in 2015  (one of them being an auto repo).  The ones that remain will all be medical bills gone to collections.  I want to use my credit card responsibly and make sure I stay under 20% utilization.  My auto loan will always be paid on time.  Once My score goes up a bit I will look to obtain another credit card with better terms.  The one I have now has an annual fee of $19 which isn't as bad as some out there I suppose.  I want to obtain cards in the future that don't have any annual fees.  Please feel free to share your experience or stories regarding multiple collections accounts and the impact it has or had on your score.  I was actually shocked when I pulled my scores they were EQ 616, TU 557, and EX 603. What would you guess is the highest score I could acheive with having these collections on record?  Thanks for any input on this!  I am obsessed with improving my credit.  I want to be ready to buy my dream car in 2 years.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
seruby
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Possible Credit Score with Multiple Collections accounts?

Try to maintain under 10% instead of 20% - it should boost your scores more.

My scores, as of 10/29, were EQ-654, TU-624, EX-623.   I have 2 collections on EQ & TU, and 6 on EX (3 are getting deleted soon though).  None will be falling off until about 2018-2019.  I probably have about 3-4 charge offs as well.   I have 2 cards with a combined limit of $2100 and just got an auto loan this month.

For the ones falling off in 2015 - I guess you have 2 options, depending how soon you want them off your report:

1) You could offer the collection agency payment in return for them deleting the tradeline from  your report.  Look up pay for delete on the forum.

2) You could just wait and let it fall off the report.

Either way, you're likely past the SOL (double check that to be sure), so you legally can't be sued for it - some may still try though.

For the others, I'd say research the collection agencies to see if any of them will do a pay for delete - some won't(like the 2 on my TU & EQ report).   If you find one that does them, send them a letter too.  If you can, tackle the more recent collections first.  Just know that they aren't obligated to accept a PFD, and if you're within the SOL, they may try to file a suit against you.  So it's a risky venture within the SOL.

I'm not sure there really is a "best" score, since there's many variables to consider.  Maybe 700 would be a tough shot with collections, but again, can't say that definitively.   Focus on cleaning up your report, and your score will follow.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Possible Credit Score with Multiple Collections accounts?

While holding onto Chargeoffs and Collections, I believe you'll always be hovering around 650 as a best case score no matter how much other good stuff you have going on.  And that's on the high side, you would have to have several good tradelines to offset the bads and get to 650

I have never heard of anybody having multiple ChargeOffs/Collections and still in the 700 club

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.