Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Secured Cards that Graduate

tag
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Best Secured Cards that Graduate

When I looked at the USAA secured AMEX I was told it never graduated. Did something change?

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 41 of 56
stellar
Established Contributor

https://www.firstnational.com/site/personal/credit-card/visa/visa-secured.fhtml

FNBO Platinum Secured

It's hard to get specific info on this particular card bc FNBO has so many flavors of secured ccs. 

However, this one is great bc it has no AF, can get additional unsecured cli after 6-7 months and graduates from what I can tell from comments...9-10-12 months automatically and you keep the same card and history when it unsecures.  

They also give monthly free EX score FICO 8.

Message 42 of 56
stellar
Established Contributor

Here is info on NASA's secured cc:

https://www.nasafcu.com/credit-cards/

12.9% TO 17.99%

NO annual fee or balance transfer fee

$500-2000

Build Credit 

VISA Classic Credit Card

Enjoy a fixed rate as low as 12.9% APR*

Share Secured Visa Credit Card available (minimum $500; maximum $2,000)

here is the info I got from chat:

There is a secured and unsecured version of their Visa Classic card.

The apply button online is for the unsecured version only.

You must apply by phone or in person for the secured version.

It does not automatically graduate, you must apply for that, but if it's approved you keep the same card and account number.

There is no annual fee or balance transfer fee.

The deposit earns current rate of %

You can apply to increase your limit, if approved you can add money to increase it.

There are no rewards.

It reports to the credit bureaus as a secured revolving line of credit.

..........................................................................................................

and for DCU:

DCU Secured Visa Platinum: low APR, no AF, graduates (with a return of deposit) BUT you must apply & get approved for the CU which costs a HP

You can apply for it on their main page when you are not logged into your account.

...........................................................................................................

and this is another helpful thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Updated-for-2015-Secured-Credit-Card-List/td-p/3856240

Message 43 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

DISCOVER!!!!!!

Message 44 of 56
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

Waiting to see if my Boa secured visa rewards is going to graduate next month (12 months). I have had 100% on time payments. And was over my credit limit for one or two months in a row. Fingers crossed. I wonder if they base this on FICO score. My score has not really improved much since the first day I opened it.
Experian 518
Tran 504
Equifax 491
As of today.

I can't remember what it was when I got approved. If they base it off credit FICO score then I probably won't graduate. If they base it on credit worthiness with them and on time payments for them and other lenders on my profile then I might have a chance. I took a huge hit with credit one during harvey and they closed my account after120 days late. I have since then paid off the minimum balance owed and working on paying off the full amount this month. Not sure if that will Hender my graduation. I have an active checking account with Boa in good standing so hopefully they will give me a chance. I applied for a CLI on my boa last week wanted a $400 cl rather than the $300 I've had for a year. Waiting to hear back from them..they haven't deducted it from my checking yet.

Message 45 of 56
NGeorge
Valued Member

It’s been a while since I was here — just now seeing this Smiley Happy

So I have done a couple things over the last 9 months....

The big one is I negotiated my $65k in private student loans down to under $30k with a pay for delete in Feb — so I paid them off — and my score is now in the 670-680 range from the mid to high 500s. The original chargeoff is still there from the lender but the collection mark is gone at least!

Credit card wise I dropped the Continental Finance. The guy was trying to explain to me that the $18 a month fee is actually a great deal because “they report your credit monthly to all the agencies to help you rebuild your credit and that fee covers the expenses.” I had to try and keep from laughing and had to repeat “just cancel it” with every excuse he gave me.

I had a small Capital One card and I merged it into my larger one so now my CL is over 2k on my Capital One I’ve had since 2007.

I was offered a $1k credit line no annual fee Avant card when I paid off the student loans which I accepted.

I called Credit One bank and threatened to leave — they got rid of the annual fee and I got a credit line increase to $1250.

My Discover Secured is still secured at $2500 (I’d added an extra $500 to it last year to take to to their max)— but their credit score tracker (which always seems to run a few points higher than everyone else) has me between 680 and 690... I figure at some point they will unsecure it.

My partner also added me to his Amex and 2 others which have $30k+ available credit so I’m an authorized user on those to help the available credit.

So now where I’m at is just keeping my balances low and paying everything on time and watching my score tick up a point or so each month. The issue is that even though I paid off the student loan problem, and got a pay for delete from the collection agency, the original lender still shows it as a chargeoff with the late payments that led up to said chargeoff on the 3 accounts. It shows “Closed, transferred to other lender, XXXX amount charged off”.... I’m hoping I can get someone to adjust that somehow.

As it is, my credit score says “good” but when I tried to do a little upgrading and refinancing the “previous delinquency” still bites me.

So that’s the latest... I’m feeling much more confident then I was this time last year Smiley Happy The next goal is trying to get it above 700... I’d like to be able to refinance my car down to a lower rate and finally get a “decent” travel card.

N
Message 46 of 56
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Suggestion: Add Applied Bank (www.appliedbank.com) to the Avoid List. Terms for the Gold Preferred Visa are just as bad, if not worse than Credit One.
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 47 of 56
NGeorge
Valued Member

Yay — not a week after I posted this I got the letter that Discover has unsecured my account! So we’re seeing progress Smiley Happy
Message 48 of 56
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Capital One - for the minimum $200 limit, the amount required down depends on your creditworthiness. It could be $49, $99, or require the full $200. It can no longer be added to later, so you obviously want to put as much down as affordable.

Discover - the limit can be increased after opening, up to $2500, but requires you to call in and "get approved" for the CLI.

Message 49 of 56
Yeliaba1
Frequent Contributor

After filing for Ch13 (& divorce) in March 14’, I waited until Jun 17’ to start applying for credit.  Had received approval to begin with secured cards from my attorney after filing but procrastinated. Opened an Open Sky at $1500 because they had no hard pull, guaranteed approval, and reported as unsecured.  Next, I got FNBO secured at $750.  Went for Discover in Oct 17’ and was surprisingly approved for unsecured at $2200.  I believe my OpenSky might have influenced that decision. Joined NFCU and opened a secured at $500.  FNBO gave me CLI OF $250 in Dec (6mos).  Closed OpenSky in Jan (served its purpose). NFCU graduated at 5 months with CLI to 2K.  FNBO graduated at 11 mos with a CLI to $2K.  Just opened a BOA secured and plan to garden until Aug 19 at discharge.  Scores in the 670s now and hope to be in the 700s at discharge.  

I chose to stay away from CAP1 because its secured card is inconsistent based on what I hear from others here.  Wells Fargo seems the same. Citi is too long to wait in my opinion when there are better options available.  I autopay everything, PIF often, and try to follow AZEO. I have nothing but gratitude to the forum for all I have learned.  I hope my two cents helps me to pay it forward.

Message 50 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.