Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Pay a CO

tag
CreditChemistry
Established Member

Best Way to Pay a CO

Hi everyone. My DH has a charge off on his credit report. I am in the position to pay it. What is the best way to make this payment? Should I use a CC, my bank account, or debit card? I guess I'm a bit concerned to give them any financial information because I just don't trust CAs, in general. 

Thanks for your help. 
CC

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Best Way to Pay a CO

CC will offer protection.

Who is the collection agency?
Message 2 of 13
siveriano
New Contributor

Try to get any agreement in writing first, a while back I recall a CA almost cleaning my account, the agreement was lets say $200 but the original amount was $1000, they did multiple transactions until the got the $1000 back.

This was maybe 10 years ago or so tho.

Message 3 of 13
CreditChemistry
Established Member

The CA is Midland. I've read terrible things about them...that adds to my stress.

@AllZero wrote:
CC will offer protection.

Who is the collection agency?

Message 4 of 13
CreditChemistry
Established Member

Holy moly! That's terrible! Were you able to get any recourse? Did you try to file a dispute with your bank?

@siveriano wrote:

Try to get any agreement in writing first, a while back I recall a CA almost cleaning my account, the agreement was lets say $200 but the original amount was $1000, they did multiple transactions until the got the $1000 back.

This was maybe 10 years ago or so tho.

Message 5 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

You can search the forums here on Midland. IIRC they do offer PFD Pay For Delete.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midland is a good one to have. They will accept payment and delete all traces of their entry on your reports once payment is made and as long as the debt is at least two years old. I sent a certified check to them to pay off an old chargeoff two years ago. That way they couldn't play any games if they wanted to (which I haven't seen any stories of them doing so), and I was able to follow up with my CU to find out the check was cashed. Once it was, within a month or so they deleted their entry from my reports. Personal opinion - be glad it's them who has the account.

Message 7 of 13
CreditChemistry
Established Member

Thank you, AllZero and ImTheDevil. That makes me feel much better. I love this forum! You guys are amazing. 🙂

Message 8 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@CreditChemistry wrote:

Thank you, AllZero and ImTheDevil. That makes me feel much better. I love this forum! You guys are amazing. 🙂

Glad to be of service. Hope to read of your success if you report back.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My DW had 2 accounts with Midland we settled Jan 28th. Had an EFT scheduled straight out of her checking. Was a bit nerve racking but they took only what we agreed upon. No funny business 🤗

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.