Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best secured cards

tag
doc101
Regular Contributor

Best secured cards

What do you guys consider the "best secured card" for rebuilding credit. I have one secured (Cap 1) and one unsecured (Orchard Bank, now Cap1). Am looking for a 3rd card in my rebuilding stage. No need to Google when the best advice can be found out here lol

Starting Score:Equifax 543
Current Score:EQ659 TU 716 EXP677 updated 7/3/2016
Goal Score: 700

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best secured cards

Any secured card is great, IMO (provided there aren't a lot of fees). I used HSBC/Orchard and BofA back in the day. Had I needed to do it over again, I'd opt for CUs instead.

Message 2 of 5
doc101
Regular Contributor

I've read out here that BoA card is kinda hard to get......is this true?

Starting Score:Equifax 543
Current Score:EQ659 TU 716 EXP677 updated 7/3/2016
Goal Score: 700

Message 3 of 5
tooyoungforbadcredit
Valued Member

I here BOfA secured is really good. They graduate you after around 12 months to an unsecured card, but there standards are a little higher than other secured cards. I also here first progress is pretty good, but you might want to consider just adding more to your CL on the cards you now have. It would be easier to manage, and since cap 1 doesn't report as secured it would look like you are responsible with higher amounts.

In the garden since 7/27/12 after getting two credit rebuilding cards.

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: TU-617 Equifax-606 Experian Plus 569
Goal Score: 650 by 1/1/13
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@doc101 wrote:

I've read out here that BoA card is kinda hard to get......is this true?

I tried with an EX FICO in the upper 500s (back when we could pull our EX FICO). I was denied due to bad credit and a low score. I applied again with FICOs in the low to mid 600s for an unsecured and was offered a partially secured as a counter offer. They can be a bit tough to get. IMO, BofA isn't all that and a ball of wax. I'm unimpressed by them.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.