Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best strategy for re-establishing credit with planned transaction in mind

tag
Focker69
Regular Contributor

Hello,

I'm planning on rebuilding and I do not have any open or active accounts at the moment. My question is: If I was planning to purchase an auto loan within the next 6-12 months, how many credit building installment accounts should I open and is there a difference between opening up one or three at the same time. Same question would go for an auto purchase within 12-24 months. Any difference in approach in strategy?

Many thanks in advance!

Hoping to hit 700 soon!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Focker69
Regular Contributor

Hello,

I'm planning on rebuilding and I do not have any open or active accounts at the moment. My question is: If I was planning to purchase an auto loan within the next 6-12 months, how many credit building installment accounts should I open and is there a difference between opening up one or three at the same time. Same question would go for an auto purchase within 12-24 months. Any difference in approach in strategy?

Many thanks in advance!

Hoping to hit 700 soon!
Message 2 of 12
mrtech3
New Contributor

Re: Best strategy for re-establishing credit with planned transaction in mind

I came out of a chapter 7 back in 04 and I am not saying you have filed BK just sharing what I done to repair my credit....I first addressed any inaccuracies on my bureaus and I also applied for several store CCs..In my experience they are usually easy to get...I do believe Wal-Mart and JC Penny were my first 2.. Then I joined several CUs that were easy to join like Alliant, Patelco, JFCU, Addison Ave (now First Tech) within 6mos I had a CC with most of them.......I had my credit on a great rebound within 18mos and most CUs are more forgiving with blemishes of course YMMV....I even found a local CU that I could join and took out a couple of small personal loans with them to re-establish...

Message 3 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Is it 6-12 months or 12-24? You only need 1 loan and 3 cards to start off with. Need some more info like how did you get to no credit at all. Everyone has a past. Then we can chip in.

Message 4 of 12
Focker69
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your response. I have 3 paid chargeoffs and zero collections now but no open or active accounts at the moment and want to find out if there is a best way to strategize if the goal is purchasing a vehicle within the next 6-12 months and if that strategy would differ if the timeline was 12-24 months.
Hoping to hit 700 soon!
Message 5 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Focker69  your identical threads have been merged, please avoid cross-posting 

Message 6 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Who were the CO's with? If you can get into NFCU or PENFED and grab an SSL that will take care of the loan dept. If Cap1 wasnt in the mix. Try their prequal to get started.

Message 7 of 12
Focker69
Regular Contributor

I had C/O's with Discover, Chase and Fifth Third bank.

I'm wondering if there is an ideal combo to restart. I.e. 3 new cc's and 2 ssl's etc...

Hoping to hit 700 soon!
Message 8 of 12
Focker69
Regular Contributor

Does it make a difference if I open one or two SSLs?
Hoping to hit 700 soon!
Message 9 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You only need 1. More isnt better for now. Give Cap1's pre qual. They're pretty forgiving to get a revolver in the wallet.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.