Did you mean: 

Best way to deal with ex-wife's med bills

tag
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best way to deal with ex-wife's med bills

valley_man0505 wrote:

@Junejer wrote:
Also wanted to add for clarification that the date that it became a collection is what matters. I think I confused some (including me Smiley Tongue) by calling that the report date.

If that is the case, I think that is a big flaw in the scoring system.  That would mean that I could have a JDB buy a utility bill that is 20 years old, and, because the JDB just "opened" the account, it would be scored as "new" collection even though the debt itself occured 20 years ago.  That is basically what seems to be happening with the Pinnacle account on my reports.  As far as I can tell, this alleged debt is almost 6 years old (that is the last time I ever had an account with the OC they are mentioning but I am sure that I paid off my outstanding balance when I moved).  However, is showing that an "account open date" of 6/2008.  Interestingly enough, I just noticed now when I looked up that date on my TU report, there is also a "date closed" date listed as 12/2008.  I may have to investigate what that means.
Except you can send the JDB an ITS letter, because they can't list an item that is past CRTP on your CR. Because this debt is about six y.o., it can only remain on your account for another 12-18 months, even if they just opened it yesterday.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 33
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

@Junejer wrote:

@valley_man0505 wrote:

@Junejer wrote:
Also wanted to add for clarification that the date that it became a collection is what matters. I think I confused some (including me Smiley Tongue) by calling that the report date.

If that is the case, I think that is a big flaw in the scoring system.  That would mean that I could have a JDB buy a utility bill that is 20 years old, and, because the JDB just "opened" the account, it would be scored as "new" collection even though the debt itself occured 20 years ago.  That is basically what seems to be happening with the Pinnacle account on my reports.  As far as I can tell, this alleged debt is almost 6 years old (that is the last time I ever had an account with the OC they are mentioning but I am sure that I paid off my outstanding balance when I moved).  However, is showing that an "account open date" of 6/2008.  Interestingly enough, I just noticed now when I looked up that date on my TU report, there is also a "date closed" date listed as 12/2008.  I may have to investigate what that means.
Except you can send the JDB an ITS letter, because they can't list an item that is past CRTP on your CR. Because this debt is about six y.o., it can only remain on your account for another 12-18 months, even if they just opened it yesterday.

Yes, that is true.  I guess my example only works if they buy an account is less than 7.5 years old and report.  However, in my case, I am still taking a big hit for a nearly 6 year old debt looking "new" for the next year and half.

Message 32 of 33
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Correct. And, if disputed and verified, you will typically take a further hit.

valley_man0505 wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

@valley_man0505 wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

Yes, that is true.  I guess my example only works if they buy an account is less than 7.5 years old and report.  However, in my case, I am still taking a big hit for a nearly 6 year old debt looking "new" for the next year and half.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.