Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to handle collections..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to handle collections..

Hi, I'm at the beginning of my credit journey and just looking for some advice on how to handle these collections.
They are currently unpaid and are new enough it's probably not worth to wait to drop off-
$35: ARS open 2015 medical
$228 & $109: Accounts Recievable 2017 utility bills - these were opened by an ex in my name and I didn't know they existed until I saw my credit report, disputable?
$93: Valley Credit Service 2015 medical
$164: Phoenix Financial Services- this one is from a 2014 hospital trip that didn't appear on my credit report until 8/2018 and says that's also the date of the original Bill? can I dispute this one? I did not know this bill existed At the time I was on tricare military spousal insurance and didn't have to pay for medical care.

Not sure the best method to go about these. I was thinking of disputing the three I didn't know about, and requesting PFD for the other two. If that doesn't work for both of them, then paying and trying my best at goodwill letters.

Any tips or advice? If I am disputing, what sort of evidence should I provide? Should i send via certified mail or are the online dispute centers sufficient? Is it not worth trying to dispute them?

Thanks for any help !
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to handle collections..

Welcome!!! This is the best place ever for getting your credit score together. Please don't be in a rush, it takes time.

$35: ARS open 2015 medical (Google "Hippa Method" and proceed with it. DO NOT CALL. It takes a bit, but people have great success with it)
$228 & $109: Accounts Recievable 2017 utility bills - these were opened by an ex in my name and I didn't know they existed until I saw my credit report, disputable? ( If you can prove you did not open them, there is no copy of your ID/your signature is not on any of the paperwork, you could dispute. If that is not the case, you may want to contact them and see if they will do a PFD, since they are small amounts.)
$93: Valley Credit Service 2015 medical(Google "Hippa Method" and proceed with it. DO NOT CALL. It takes a bit, but people have great success with it)
$164: Phoenix Financial Services- this one is from a 2014 hospital trip that didn't appear on my credit report until 8/2018 and says that's also the date of the original Bill? can I dispute this one? I did not know this bill existed At the time I was on tricare military spousal insurance and didn't have to pay for medical care.(Google "Hippa Method" and proceed with it. DO NOT CALL. It takes a bit, but people have great success with it)

If you are going to dispute the non medical bill, I would contact the utility company directly, not the company who has it in collection and see if they can send you a copy of the information provided to open the accounts. If you still live in the same area, you may want to have that resolved, as it will effect you from opening utility accounts in the future with them. Generally, paying them off will not do much to your credit, but it will start to age them, so in time that will help you out.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.