Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to settle judgement in PA?

tag
CreditRepairGirl23
New Contributor

Best way to settle judgement in PA?

I have been working on my credit for a year .. the only black mark left is a judgement from capital one from 2005. I have been paying it for a year and intend to use my tax refund to settle the balance. From what I have read it seems a judgement can not be negotiated to be removed in Pa?

all other debt I was able to negotiate payment for deletion or pay and have it good will removed..(thanks to everything I learned here!)

I just want to be sure I handle this last issue the best way possible..

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Best way to settle judgement in PA?

If the judgement is paid or making payments you would most likely have to have the creditior lender remove the judgement, once the debt is satisfied. There is a process for that I think which getting a free consultation with an Attorney in PA would be your best bet for proper advice.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 7
hdrider07
Regular Contributor

OP, I am in PA too.  What you need to do is negotiate with them to file a motion to vacate the judgment.  You can start this now with them, it is very easy for the attorneys office to file the motion once you are PIF, however for them to do so you may have to offer to pay them the filing fee and for their time, thats what I did to get my judgment vacated.

Message 3 of 7
CreditRepairGirl23
New Contributor

hdrider07  , thank you so much for the tip!

Can you tell me what $ I should offer for the filing fee and time ?

Anyone have a sample letter I can use for my offer?
Message 4 of 7
hdrider07
Regular Contributor

The filing fee is right around 20 bucks.  I ended up paying them an extra 170 total, 150 for their time and 20 filing fee.  I negotiated that over the phone and they sent me a letter with those terms.  It may not seem like the greatest deal but to me the 170 was worth it instead of waiting 5 more years for it to fall off and I got a very nice jump in scores.

Message 5 of 7
CreditRepairGirl23
New Contributor

HDrider...That doesnt seem bad at all to me! I have started working with a mortgage company..looking over my credit they said I should be totally fine as long as we get the judgement paid before we start official pre approval process.

I really wanted it gone though to improve my situation even more and $200 is worth it to me..I will negotiate the settlement then make the offer to pay them for time and filing fees ...thank you again..I will let you know how it works out Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What was the date of the actual entry of the judgment?

It may already have reached its 7 year CR exclusion date under the FCRA..

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.