Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big reporting discrepancy with credit union auto loan

tag
DaveStPete
Established Member

Big reporting discrepancy with credit union auto loan

I am just beginning to strategize for cleaning up my credit report and have discovered something very troubling related to an active auto loan with my local credit union, GTE Financial.

I was late 30 days four times in the 2-year reporting window on my report here, and EQ and EX are correctly showing:

LATE 30 DAYS - 4 times (Apr 2016, Jan 2016, Dec 2015, Oct 2015)

But TU shows:

LATE 30 DAYS - 15 times (Oct 2016, Jul 2016, Jun 2016, May 2016, Apr 2016, Mar 2016, Feb 2016, Jan 2016, Dec 2015, Nov 2015, Oct 2015, Sep 2015, Aug 2015, May 2015, Jun 2014)

What is my best strategy for attacking this reporting anomaly?  A visit to my local branch, or to the main office in Tampa, or an email with copy of the three sections showing the discrepancy?  I certainly don't want them to update all 3 CRAs to 15 lates!

Current FICO (11/10/17): EQ: 646 / TU: 679 / EX: 674
Starting FICO (2/19/17): EQ: 580 / TU: 620 / EX: 594
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Big reporting discrepancy with credit union auto loan

I believe doing an online dispute through TU would be a good place to start. You can upload supporting documentation for your case to have the lates removed.  Once you dispute on there the creditor will have 30 days to reply back. If they don't then it will be removed from your credit report. 

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Big reporting discrepancy with credit union auto loan

The FCRA does not specifically mandate that a furnisher must initially report to a CRA, or that all information regarding payment history must be reported.

It also does not require that a furnisher report the exact same payment history derogs to all CRAs.

A creditor can, for example, wait to report a delinquency until it has exceeded a certain level, and is not required to report any and all 30-lates to each CRA.

They can report a 30-late to one CRA, but not another.

While an account that reaches 60+ days late could arguably be requried to show that level to be accurate, it has been acceptable practice over the decades of the FCRA for a furnisher to report 30-late when a higher level of delinquency could be reported. 

Discrepancy in reporting between the CRAs, where one shows a substantially higher number of 30-lates than another, is not considered knowingly inaccurate reporting under FCRA 623(a)(1), and is not normally challenged under FCRA 623(a)(2) as requring update to a higher level of delinquency.

The question in the extra showing of 30-lates with a given CRA is not that they are not shown with another CRA, but rather whether the account was actually delinquent for that month/year.

For each reported 30-late, is the assertion that the account was in pays as agreed, good standing that month, and not delinquent at all, or that the reporting as 30-late should or could be reported as a different level of delinquency?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.