Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big score jump!

tag
radfam
Frequent Contributor

Big score jump!

Logged in this morning to see a score alert. My TU jumped 65 points after having an unpaid medical collection deleted! Fingers crossed EX and EQ removes as well! TU was my lowest score and now is my highest. With that paid collection lingering, I was stagnant at 597 range. TU is now at 662! Happy dance!

**UPDATE:  TU deleted the unpaid medical.  Like I have mentioned in a below post, I am following the hipaa letter process.  I am guessing this unpaid medical may reappear after they verify the debt.  For now, I am still working through the letter program in hopes it is paid and permanently removed.

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
radfam
Frequent Contributor

Re: Big score jump!

Adding that my TU has improved by 84pts since I first began rebuilding in 10/2017. EQ has improved by 17pts and EX by 30pts, with both of those still pending to see if they delete that paid medical. I also am addressing an unpaid medical, $200, for which I am currently addressing by using the Whychat hipaa letter process. (Google it if you have questions. Can’t be linked here.)
Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 2 of 14
LJ555
Valued Member

That's awesome!  I am waiting for some old (paid) medical collections to hopefully be deleted as well.  Congrats!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Are you down to just one last negative reporting?

Message 4 of 14
radfam
Frequent Contributor

I wish, but no. I have a paid charge off with GM auto (not repo) and a little over 100 lates ranging from 30d-180d across several TLs (nearly all from student loan TLs).
Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is still huge though -- getting all of your chargeoffs to $0 is a big accomplishment that has more effect on FICO scoring than any other balance change.  You're no longer overlimit and that should have positive effects for the next year.  

I'm not sure what the max FICO is with 2 negative accounts reporting, but I want to believe it's still a possibility to see 700s (maybe low 700s) with time.  I know the max with 1 negative is 760 or so, and I believe going to 2+ negatives drops the cap another 40-60 points, so you might eek out a 700 before those baddies age off entirely.

Message 6 of 14
radfam
Frequent Contributor

We actually didn't even realize it was a charge off.  We paid off the vehicle in 2015, knowing it was late but not knowing even what a charge off was back then.  Back then, we just thought we were paying off the remainder of the vehicle as it was the last two payments due.  So that account has been $0 bal since 2015 and hasn't updated since EQ 08/15, TU 03/15, EX 08/15.  Have been sending GW letters to GM but no response from them, as expected based on search results on here and other people with little success with GM Financial.

I will say, ABCD, your advice has been most benefical for me thus far.  I've been trying to follow your steps linked in your signature.  I have begun work on hubby's CR too, as his is worse than mine.  Also following your steps.  Thank you for all of the advice you give out on the daily!

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh, car chargeoffs are horrible to deal with -- glad that you're making progress!

Also glad my homework is helping you.  It's not just about fixing your FICO scores but about fixing our brains to be more cognizant of the effect that debt has on our emotions, our relationships, etc.

I can tell you this much: even though I was a FICO idiot for a long time, my financial situation (always have a lot of money in savings) has always helped me in my friendships, my love life and my ability to sleep soundly.  As crazy as it sounds, I had no idea my FICO score was poor for many years because I stopped using credit after my last rebuild -- it wasn't until someone told me that rewards cards earned so much cashback that I looked at it again and said "holy moly my scores are terrible!".

Having a good savings is better than having good credit -- I lived for years without credit and never had any issues sleeping, no anxiety, no stress.  That's why my homework always mentions to focus on savings balance first, worry about your FICO score after.  The scores you can always address later, but that savings account needs to be tended to ASAP for everyone!

Message 8 of 14
radfam
Frequent Contributor

Agreed.  That has been the biggest about-face for me with this whole journey.  Not only realizing that "hey your scores suck."  But that moment of clarity that I needed to ADULT and get my financial act together.  We have had consistent 6 figure income for a few years now.  I was just that bad at managing it and paying on time.  We did have a slump a in 2014-2015 that took a hit on our credit, but back then we didn't monitor nor care.  For years, we lived without credit too.  For me, it was mostly fear of looking at my credit score.  Fear of facing the monster mess that I was sure I had made.  Credit Karma didn't help.  Back then, I didn't know any better that those scores weren't my true Fico score.  I logged in and saw 483 and got spooked.  A few months later, pulled my annual credit report for the first time and started reading these forums like a sponge.  I feel so much better addressing this stuff head on now and the realization of my relationship with creditors has been astounding.  For the first time in years and years, we aren't living paycheck to paycheck.  I will add that our paycheck to paycheck was typically because we would see an amount in the bank and just buy things for sake of spending instead of saving.  HORRIBLE I know, but it is what it is.  

I also agree on savings.  We have been saving up for a house and have a chunk stashed away (roughly 27k last I looked but will be adding another 5k at least to that).  We have a separate savings account that we are also working to grow for other expenses. 

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll get there!  If the only thing you follow of my advice is to have everything on autopay AND build your savings in a massive way, you'll be stress-free in no time.

And the house will be a nice addition, but do make sure to keep your emergency fund growing even after you buy a house.

The best advice I give to new homeowners is don't buy new furniture or rugs or mini-blinds or appliances you first year.  If you have to sit on moving boxes and use a moving box as a your dining table, do that.  The more you sock away in emergency savings your first year, the better off you'll be the rest of your life.

I grind my teeth at people immediately applying for 12 credit cards after they get their house keys, and in 12 months I know I'll be seeing them again on these forums with a title called "well I'm back again and I need help again".  Happens too often.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.