Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill me Later

tag
Rein
Regular Contributor

Bill me Later

i noticed a lot of shopping website give an option of bill me later for payment. It only requires last 4 digit of your ssn. Do they run a credit check? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: Bill me Later

I am pretty sure they do for the first time you sign up for it, so the INQ would show up, but I don't think they report an account to the bureaus.. I am sure someone who has experienced it will chime in soon! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They certainly have the option, regardless of whether you provide last 4 digits, as a business transaction inititated by a consumer that gives rise to some legitimate business purpose on their part to review your credit is a permissible purpose under FCRA 604.  Allowing delayed billing is certainly a legitimate reason to review your future ability to pay.

An SSN is not required to pull a consumer CR, provided they have sufficient identifying information to match their inquiry to a specific consumer file.

Full name and current address is usually sufficient.

Will they?  A lot depends upon how regularly they make inquiries, as there is a fee and admin time on their part.  If they do it regularly for other purposes, it's easy to slip those additional types in.

Message 3 of 8
Rein
Regular Contributor

Thanks.. I won't waste an INQ hit for something I might not get approve for. Saving up for a secured credit card. Thank you!

Message 4 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Rein wrote:

Thanks.. I won't waste an INQ hit for something I might not get approve for. Saving up for a secured credit card. Thank you!

Yes, the will do a hard inq, Webbank is the name of the company that runs Bill Me Later..

Bill Me Later also does not report to the CRAs unless you go negative.. it is not worth the hard pull from a credit scoring perspective, but they do work at 1000 retailers and offer generous limits, not OUTRAGOUS interest, and lots of 6 month same as cash type programs..

I use it, and enjoy it, esp with the same as cash. And I have a limit of 4951 dollars. Yes.. 4-9-5-1. lol

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 8
Rein
Regular Contributor

Thanks Scott. I think I will try for a secured credit. I need a positive on my credit reporting. 

Message 6 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Rein wrote:

Thanks Scott. I think I will try for a secured credit. I need a positive on my credit reporting. 

100 percent agree with this.. Bill  Me Later will not help your credit at all

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 7 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Not a bad account to have but like said before, will not benefit as a positive TL or factor in for util.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.