Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackmailed by a Collection Agency

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Blackmailed by a Collection Agency

I have an old collection that was paid back in 2014 (approximately $80).  I paid it directly to the original creditor even though it went to collections.  The debt was still listed as open afterwards.  Currently, I disputed the amount several times with all three credit agencies and CFPB.  Transunion and Experian have removed the entry completely but it remains listed as "open" on Equifax.

I called the collection agency (a company called Regional Recovery Services, Inc in Indiana) twice.  So far, R.R.S. has offered to remove the entry only if I pay a deletion fee.  Obviously, I will not be blackmailed.  What other recourse do I have for a company that won't even respond to CFPB and refuses to update my credit file?

Update: After constant calling, I got through to a manager who deleted it for no fee. Equifax updated the next day to confirm. I just kept talking to the wrong person I guess.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Blackmailed by a Collection Agency

I wish Cap1 can blackmail me with a deletion fee to delete my charged off account off the 3 credit b's. 

Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you filed your dispute with EQ, you should have received a formal Notice of Results of Reinvestigation from them shortly after conclusion of the 30-day reinvestigation period.  That Notice specified the outcome of the dispute.

What was the finding in that dispute?

The reasonable investigation by the debt collector that was mandated by that dispute can thereafter serve as basis for bringing civil action against them if they verified that their collection was still open/unpaid with knowledge that it was paid.

Once paid, they were required under FCRA 623(a)(2) to have promptly updated their collection to show Closed, $0 balance.

That is a requirement of statute, and they are obligated to update.  If they refuse to do so without additional compenstation, that is a willful violation of their obligation.

I would highly recommend consultation with an attorney with eye on civil action for lack of reasonable investigation of your dispute by failing to correct a clear and know. inaccuracy.  Willful noncompliance entitles you, under FCRA 616, to actual and punitive damages, and attorney fees.  I would seek punitive damages.......

Message 3 of 10
howellco2
Frequent Contributor

@Roberteg I've also got paid debts that show open PFR says it's Equifax policy to leave accounts open just 0 out BALANCE. I called Equifax and after a few transfers I got a supervisor in America who told me the same thing they remain open even after paid for 7 year

MAJOR BANK CARDS Amex BC 15k, Amex CM 1500, Amex Delta 1k, BB&T Travel 4500, BBVA 6900, CAP1QS 2600, Discover 3300, Marvel MC 6000, Wells Fargo CR 4500, Blispay 2k
CREDIT UNION CARDS DCU 2k , Robbins 10k, United1st 5k
STORE CARDS Amazon 10k, Home Depot 5k, PayPal 4k, Walmart 6k, Lowes 12k
Message 4 of 10
GodivaD
New Contributor

Legit!! 😂 sorry I’m laughing at the wish of being blackmailed. 😩
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send them an ITS letter , Intent to file suit for FDCPA violations. See if that works. 

They may just go away 

Message 6 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A paid account, be it an OC account or that of a collection, is closed when the debt is paid.

That is per the common CRA reporting manual, titled the "Credit Reporting Resource Guide."

The Credit Reporting Resource Guide does not include any policy or reporting guideline/policy that a paid collection is reported as Open.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also , asking for a deletion fee is a problem. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I didn't mean to be insensitive to the threadstarters' situation. It's just that it would be so nice if there was such a thing as a deletion fee so that I can fix my credit faster. It's definitely a shady move on their part.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shady or illegal ? I would ask the collector to show me where in the contract it allows them to collect this fee. When they can’t find it, I would tell them to delete and I won’t sue them. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.