Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bottom feeders and bad scoring algorithms

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bottom feeders and bad scoring algorithms

I knew to expect the junk debt buyers would start resurfacing when I started paying off old debts and cleaning up my credit. And so it hss come to pass that DCI has listed a real zombie. Its an ATT charge for service I never had at an address I never lived at. I've successfully disputed this same account with several other JDB over the years. Even IF it WAS a valid debt, it is from far longer than 7.5 years ago, but amazingly with each new bottom feeder, the date of first default is always much more recent. So today I get to stsrt all over again with this stupid thing to get it off my reports.
I do appreciate credit karma alerting me to its entry on my reports, but I HAD to laugh when I saw their new scores for me. For TU, I got a 1 point increase because my First Progress card reported the same week. But for EQ, it shows a 103 point decrease in spite of the new credit card.
This is why I don't stress about the ck scores.Thats a pretty big variation for identical entries.
So now I'm off to draft the "you reported on my credit with no dunning notice about a debt that #1 isn't mine and #2 is older than Davey Crockett" letter.
It should be a law that a CA cannot soft pull your reports to curb the practice of "let's see if we can derail their efforts as a scare tactic to get money". Because these creeps only show up AFTER you start showing that you are paying old debts, or that you are improving your credit situation.
Besides, it's my birthday today, and they aren't going to ruin my good mood over my rebuild progress.
Hell hath no fury like a 50 year old woman on a credit rebuild journey. You have been warned! 😂😂😂
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bottom feeders and bad scoring algorithms

Want it gone for good since its not yours use the ID Theft laws in the FCRA to have it permanently excluded, its also against the FCRA to reage and account so it can still be reported, each violation is 1K you could file this request with the CFPB as remedy as well.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the DOFD with the original creditor was more than 7 years plus 180 days ago and you get a collection reporting on the debt, first file a dispute with the CRA along with your documentation, and get an investigation by the reporting debt collector and a reinvestigation by the CRA.

If the result is verification of the accuracy of the DOFD, you then have the right under FCRA 623(c) to bring civil action contesting the reasonableness of their investigation of your dispute, and ruling by a court.

If the court also finds that the debt collector knowingly reported an inaccurate DOFD in order to avoid exclusion of their collection from your credit report, you can also include a request for actual and punitive damages.

As for legislation that would bar a debt collector from pulling your credit report after credit report exclusion, the debt remains valid, and they have a legal right to still pursue attemts at its collection.  FCRA 604 provides explicit permissible purpose for a debt collector to obtain your credit report if they have legitimate collection authority, without any time limitation.

You can choose not to pay, but they have a legal right to continue to monitor your credit report.

You can, if you wish to prevent them from calling or writing you, send them a cease communcation notice under FDCPA 805(c), but that does not bar them from credit inquiries. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understsnd pulling your credit in a reasonable effort to collect a debt. I just think it's a dirty practice to pull reports but hold off reporting until you can do the most damage to a credit score. It just seems sleezy to me. Either way, the ATT account isn't mine, so it's got to go. My report looks bad enough without carrying someone else's bad debt. I'm (slowly) paying mine off. Whoever owns that one can pay it themselves.
Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I understsnd pulling your credit in a reasonable effort to collect a debt. I just think it's a dirty practice to pull reports but hold off reporting until you can do the most damage to a credit score. It just seems sleezy to me. Either way, the ATT account isn't mine, so it's got to go. My report looks bad enough without carrying someone else's bad debt. I'm (slowly) paying mine off. Whoever owns that one can pay it themselves.

I have SPs pulled on me all the time from debts nearly 20 years old now, they can do it forever or until I declare another BK and wipe them away. I never hear from them anymore by mail, still get an occasional call from PRA and I have blocked most of the numbers they use to call so I just add the new number to the block when they do call. This JDB industry did not exist until the 21st century, they are vultures who need to be reigned in IMHO.

Message 5 of 6
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

still get an occasional call from PRA and I have blocked most of the numbers they use to call so I just add the new number to the block when they do call. 

Lol, when they were calling DH multiple times a day while at work I finally added, "No Terd Head" "Terd Heads" and other bad names to the id and then blocked the calls.  That was years ago, when I look through and see all the names in the contacts I just grin.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.