Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brick by brick. How to rebuild?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brick by brick. How to rebuild?

Hi everyone,

Looking to start my rebuild journey. Old history of divorce then not being employed but things have started getting better for me now. With that, I am looking towards the future of finally buying a home sometime. It would more than likely be a VA loan I would use so shooting towards a 680 goal. I plan on starting my rebuild within the next two months (I want to squirrel away some money first and one weekend of expenditures taking my daughter to see her granny and uncle a few states away.)

The Bad:

Credit.com is showing me at a 506 as of 6/22/2019

BOA:

A credit card account that has been closed and showing as a charge-off since Oct. 2016. Balance = $841. Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 02/2023

Charter Cable:

Cable Company bill placed for collections with Enhanced Recovery Company for the amount of $185. Placed for collections 10/11/2017. Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 03/2023

The I don’t know:

I am a college student with about a year before I complete my BA. Using the student loans and since I am a current student, everything is showing good. The bright side is I am a Federal Employee now and there is a program that the Fed takes care of this if I work for them for 10 years. I really have no clue what this may do with the credit report once I graduate and do the Fed program.

Truck broke down and the expense of the repair was just not worth it. Went to a Buy Here/Pay Here and got another vehicle (I love this car lol) and I applied. I saw a credit pull from them. I am just not sure if the payments will get reported though because of the type of business (I just made the first payment today [July 13] which was due on July 22). I do plan on having this car paid off within 1 year.

Another item is since I was accepted into a Business Honor Society (I am working my butt off to keep up this 3.7 GPA), I got a Discover Card offer. Discover it Student Chrome. I have not applied to it yet. Just thinking that if I can get that card, maybe pay off the Charter bill with it instead of using a full payment from my Bank Debit Card. Turn around and then pay off that amount on the card when it post. Would that plan be advisable or no?

Any other advice that could help me hit my goal? I am not savvy to all the terms I have seen here but willing to learn. I am wanting to build for a better life for me and my daughter.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Re: Brick by brick. How to rebuild?

Some folks will come along and start giving you great advice on real activities and priorities.  Congratulations on tackling this effort.

I am going to start with this:   Invest the $1 it requires to find out accurate, complete, REAL FICO scores across the three bureaus, and use them as your score benchmark. Do it today.  More important than the scores, however, are the data behind them (which you seem to have some idea of).

A couple thoughts and questions:   

- Do not plan to charge Peter (mythical Discover card) to pay Paul (other credit debts). 

- Do plan to retire collection debt ASAP. If that is "next month" ...ok, but "today" is better.

- Are you actively receiving collection attempts on the BofA charge off and the Charter Communications collections?  

- Ask the auto finance company who they report to and when.

- Lastly, it sounds like you are in quite a recoverable position.  Just remember that the most important factor of credit health is financial responsibility.  Don't do things for the sake of credit scores which jeopardize financial well-being. 

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Along with the Dicover Card offer, I did get a letter from Sunrise Credit Service which seems to be covering the BOA account. The "we would like to work with you and so on..." I will work on that after I get the Charter one taken care of. It's smaller and I can do it in one hit. The BOA account I am looking at splitting it to 5 or 6 months of payments in order to still take care of my household. 

Where do I get the $1 FICO sores at? 

Message 3 of 14
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Where do I get the $1 FICO sores at? 

I have had success using the advertised Creditworks premium trial at Experian.  As long as you cancel within a week, your trial will provide you with a one time pull of all three bureaus giving you reports (and scores) which you can save and use as a baseline.    After cancelling before the week is out, you can keep the daily Experian portion ... until you feel you may want to try the CreditWorks product again. 

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 4 of 14
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Along with the Dicover Card offer, I did get a letter from Sunrise Credit Service which seems to be covering the BOA account. The "we would like to work with you and so on..." I will work on that after I get the Charter one taken care of. It's smaller and I can do it in one hit. The BOA account I am looking at splitting it to 5 or 6 months of payments in order to still take care of my household. 

Regarding this piece above, ensure you understand the principle of PFD before you negotiate with the debt collectors.  I do not know the proclivities of  Enhanced Recovery or Sunrise in this area.   Are these two agencies reporting in additional to the original creditors?

050719:     
021924:     

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well now. I am a little pleased now. I did the $1 creditchecktotal for Experian. Here is what it showed me for FICO:

Experian: 575

Equifax: 584

TU: 599

As far as your question, Enhanced is listed on the Credit Reports. Sunrise is not...only BoA. They are not additional to the originals.

Message 6 of 14
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Is the original Charter account listed in the credit report as delinquent as well, or just ERC?

Please take this recomendation with a grain of salt, as I have NO experience with ERC or Charter.  Perhaps someone else can weigh in:

Assuming you know what PFD is, it may be worth your while to contact the original creditor (Charter) to see if they will recall the debt in exchange for PFD of the tradeline.  I think ERC may be unique, so it really would be worth your time to research if there is a specific way you should approacbh that.  Hopefully by now you have done some research on what PFD is in general, and why it should be attempted as you settle your debts.

050719:     
021924:     

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is one term I do know. Maybe 14 years back I was clearing a couple of things up and did PDF with an offer lower than what they asked for and it worked. I got plenty of time to plan all this out.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It has been a minute since my last post so here is a little update. I did get a discover secure card and threw $200 on it. I am in my 4th paid billing cycle. I have been getting $20 in gas then pay that off the next month. With the card came a FICO score with TU. So 599 to 603 so far. Charter was paid off and it does state PIF. On my last old debt now with BOA. There is a new credit agency contacting me about them with a small dicounted offer. I do have the funds to contact BOA themselves . From my research, BOA does not give any breaks. No biggie. This one still shows as 123% revolving utilization so it needs to go bye bye. Hopefully after that, maybe hook up another secure card and start working it as well. Will be getting rid of BOA and hopefully get bigger gains in the near future.

Message 9 of 14
satio
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It has been a minute since my last post so here is a little update. I did get a discover secure card and threw $200 on it. I am in my 4th paid billing cycle. I have been getting $20 in gas then pay that off the next month. With the card came a FICO score with TU. So 599 to 603 so far. Charter was paid off and it does state PIF. On my last old debt now with BOA. There is a new credit agency contacting me about them with a small dicounted offer. I do have the funds to contact BOA themselves . From my research, BOA does not give any breaks. No biggie. This one still shows as 123% revolving utilization so it needs to go bye bye. Hopefully after that, maybe hook up another secure card and start working it as well. Will be getting rid of BOA and hopefully get bigger gains in the near future.

Nice progress!

How long ago did you PIF the Charter account? Is this showing as Charter themselves or some collection agency? 

If it was recently paid within the last 30-45 days it may still delete on its own. If it has been longer than that then you may wish to start a GW (Goodwill) campaign to request the tradeline be removed altogether. If you have NO collection accounts at all, you should expect to see a nice boost in score.

Bring BOA to 0 balance on the charge off, either by PIF or settlement, will also stop that monthly reporting of the continued deliquency which is also holding your score down. Improvement will come bit by bit each month as it ages.

You can reactivate your "trial" again at anytime for another $1 and get all your scores. Just remember to cancel before the monthly charge date occurs.

If you clear these items before you pull the trigger on your next card you may find yourself with  more options other than secured.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.