cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broke Through to the 700s finally, ONLY Equifax *warning re: Experian's $1 score checking service*

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Broke Through to the 700s finally, ONLY Equifax *warning re: Experian's $1 score checking service*

Hi Everyone!  It's been a long time on my Credit journey.  My credit was all the way down to the 500s in 2015 due to medical problems.  In 2016 I shouldered the burden and started again. I had a discharged school loan with Sallie Mae, 2 discharged credit cards and about $12,000 in medical debt.  I got all the medical debt up off of me (all these different collection agencies omg), starting with Dave Ramsey plan all of 2016, then easing up off of full Dave Ramsey in 2017 and applying for more cards the better things got.  I just checked my credit again on the free credit reports sites (annual credit report dot com), and I payed $1 to Experian to check the credit scores. 

****A note about Expierian's $1 credit score check service - you have to cancel within 7 days or you will get charged $15 for thier monthy monitoring service.  When you go to cancel, their AI that answers the phone - is HORRENDOUS.  It tries to not serve you the correct prompts and hangs up on you. I had to call back several times and "guestimate" what the question was they were asking for such as soc. sec. #, zip code, numerical portion of address and so forth.  After trying a couple times, I randomly got the number combinations correct and was connected to someone in India to cancel my subscription.  She says it's cancelled but this service was so shady that I'm going to have to keep a close eye on Experian to make sure it is really cancelled.  Experian is really scraping the bottom of the barrel with these practices.  When will USA corporations, especially ones that are a Public Service like Experian, learn that USA Citizens will NOT be defrauded by shady moves like these???!!!! Why is there not a law against this??? Ok, anyway.....****

Ok, so i am up to Experian 678, Equifax 735 and Transunion 678 as of last night.

I'm excited to have broken into the "700 club" finally AT LEAST with one credit beureau, Equifax.  I'm curious - does everyone else have a higher Equifax score? 

I know that I am still in the 600s on Experian and Transunion partially due to applying for credit often.  I wanted to have available credit of AT LEAST $10,000 just in case I had terrible problems like I did in 2013.  I have also saved an emergency fund, not big enough but it exists and is drawing some interest in a high yeild savings.  I'm working on making that bigger.  It's comforting to know that should my car develop serious problems, and should the bank not want to give me a loan for a new one for any reason, I could simply purchase a used car with my cash and/or credit and keep right on rolling.  I feel like things like this are more important than keeping a high score - FIRST ESTABLISH YOUR SAFETY AND SECURITY, THEN - get fancy with the high scores. USA is not the place to play around right now, they will seriously deny you and then you will be trying to walk through the snow to do things, shivering standing out in the cold waiting for the bus or train.  

The only thing that is still on my credit report that is negative, are the bad/late marks from 2013 and 2014 with Sallie Mae.  Does anyone know how to get those taken off?? I have rehabbed my loan and it was picked up by Sun Trust.  It's down to $6800 now.  I am paying monthy on it, but didn't want to fully attack it because I wanted to build my emergency fund and get out of my medical debt first.  Maybe this year would be a good time to just attack that $6800 and get it off there.  Will that cause the Sallie Mae bad/late marks to fall off as well? 

I am thankful to be firmly in the "GOOD" credit section now and climbing.  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DapprD
Regular Contributor

Re: Broke Through to the 700s finally, ONLY Equifax *warning re: Experian's $1 score checking servi

"I'm excited to have broken into the "700 club" finally AT LEAST with one credit beureau, Equifax.  I'm curious - does everyone else have a higher Equifax score? "

To let you know, my Equifax is my lowest score ... so Kudos to you !!! 

Congrats !

Starting Score: 567
Current Score: 739
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Broke Through to the 700s finally, ONLY Equifax *warning re: Experian's $1 score checking servi

@DapprD wrote:

"I'm excited to have broken into the "700 club" finally AT LEAST with one credit beureau, Equifax.  I'm curious - does everyone else have a higher Equifax score? "

To let you know, my Equifax is my lowest score ... so Kudos to you !!! 

Congrats !

Same.   EQ was my highest for about 6 months -- but it apparently penalizes for multiple new accounts/inquiries more heavily than the other two bureaus...

Anyway -- congrats on breaking 700! It's a big deal Smiley Wink 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 8
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Experian tends to be my highest number and Congrats on the build!

Message 4 of 8
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

The SM ones from 2013 may fall off next year and since they are close to the 7 year mark I would see if they do rather than try to dispute it as sometimes making a payment or attempting to remove it can restart the clock.

Message 5 of 8
Chestnut1
Regular Contributor

Amazing Path you've had. Congrats on your success and good luck on your way up.

Regarding those 2 negatives. the 2013 one should fall off anytime next year. Based on date of occurance( MON/2013) . this is +7 year rule on your credit Report. You can request for EE with CRA ( TU and EX, heard EQ won't budge and would create further problems) about 3-4 months before it falls off.

The one from 2014. Same rule +7 Years from the date of occurance(Late)

and one more thing, DO NOT DISPUTE on your Negatives as they approach the fall off date. If i were you, i would not even touch them or even ask for an Early Exclusion (EE). I would just leave it to die its own death.

Congrats again and thank you for sharing your journey. 

11/10/18 EX: 540 TU: 525 EQ: 535
10/20/19 EX: 671 TU: 665 EQ: 671
11/07/19 EX: 676 TU: 673 EQ: 676
12/31/19 EX: 669 TU: 679 EQ: 673
01/06/20 EX: 670 TU: 682 EQ: 682
Paid Charge off to $0 in Dec 2019, reported Jan 2020
01/15/20 EX: 666 TU: 655 EQ: 660
02/07/20 EX: 676 TU: 668 EQ: 668
05/08/20 EX: 685 TU: 685 EQ: 682
05/18/20 EX: 690 TU: 685 EQ: 682
03/16/21 EX: 702 TU: 697 EQ: 700
04/20/21 EX: 705 TU: 700 EQ: 702
04/19/22 EX: 716 TU: 705 EQ: 716

Mortgage Middle Score 682 (Old)
Mortgage Middle Score 706 (New)
Message 6 of 8
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success!
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can cancel the $1 trial online. Go to “membership”. It takes 30 seconds.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.