Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye T-mobile/Midland!!! - Special Thanks to MrOUOKC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bye Bye T-mobile/Midland!!! - Special Thanks to MrOUOKC

It's an online update email from CFPB.  You then login to review the status.  Took two weeks for Midland to respond.  My complaint was inaccurate and uncollectable debt due to cramming charges from T Mobile.  Got some great help from a member here on my fico, and can't thank them enough. 

Message 41 of 68
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

Cool. Same thing here. Just did it a week after you, so looking forward to my update from them as well. Smiley Happy

Message 42 of 68
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

Has anyone gotten any updates from this? I am still waiting... Submitted to MCM by CFPB on the 21st....

Message 43 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you pm me and let me know on how you verified you were a victim? I didn't know their was a problem with T-Mobile. I had a account with them a few years back. Thank-you

Message 44 of 68
TuffTurkey
Regular Contributor

I have had t mobile and midland from 2012. How do i check if im a member because my bill is ridiculous! Please and thank you!

Message 45 of 68
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

I pasted a link earlier in this tread. Look it up.

Message 46 of 68
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

I am still waiting...

Message 47 of 68
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

They responded. I win! I am writing my experience so that everyone can learn from it. Long post incoming.

Message 48 of 68
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

So here is my story with Midland and T-Mobile.

I had T-Mobile account around in first decade of 2000's. I left the country around 2007 and did not return until 2011... I chose T-Mobile because of the very low monthly plan and even though I was not using the phone, I wanted to keep it. Somehow some way by the time I returned, I got sent to collections for over $700 even though I had monthly payment on autopay and have not used the phone. T-Mobile did not want to talk to me yet they NEVER reported it as negative account on any of the credit reports and Midland picked it up and started dinging me monthly. They sent multiple settlement offers and I'd call them back as any responsible person would do and offer to PFD. They refused every time. I offer full, less than full, more than full amounts and they would not budge.

At some point a year ago I disputed it with all 3 agencies and EX and TU came as verified and EQ dropped off just like that. When they called again, I cursed them off and told them to never call me again and they stopped. The TL was scheduled to fall off in 2018 so I gave up. Every now and then I'd call them and offer PFD only to hear them decline.

Then I stumbled on this tread and others regarding T-Mobile, cramming, Midland and CFPB... I did what everyone else did.

I went to T-Mobile site (link in this thead) got verified by T-Mobile and filed a complaint with CFPB. I attached the verified screen shot from T-Mobile site and a FCC press release where they announce that they have sued and settled with T-Mobile for their billing and cramming practices. I stated that Midland is trying to collect incorrect amount in mid April. Response took 14 days from CFPB auto reponse.

From CFPB:

"Thank you again for your inquiry through the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. As indicated in your complaint, your desired resolution was for Midland Credit to remove the account from your consumer credit files. We have investigated the claims brought forth in your complaint as outlined in our summary response. As a result of our investigative measures, your complaint has been "Closed with Non-Monetary Relief." Please see the attached response for a full description of our investigative results. Midland Credit has made the business decision to close the account. There will be no further collection activity, credit reporting or sale of this account. In addition, the three credit-reporting agencies will be notified to delete all reference to the account in question from your consumer credit files. Please see Midland Credit's comprehensive response letter, which is attached for additional information."

From Midland:

"You express a concern that the balance of the above-referenced account is the result of T-Mobile cramming and hidden charges. On XXXX, Midland Credit mailed you a validation letter, which informed you that Midland Funding had acquired the account, and informed you of your rights pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1692 et seq. ("FDCPA"). The letter was not returned as "undeliverable" by the United States Postal Service, satisfying the notification requirements of the FDCPA. 15 U.S.C. § 1692. Midland Credit's business records indicate that it did not receive any correspondence disputing the debt or requesting validation from you in response to the letter. In fact, Midland Credit did not receive written correspondence directly from you prior to your complaint, which cannot be considered timely. The FDCPA specifically states that, unless a consumer provides a debt collector with notice of such a dispute within 30 days of receiving the initial validation letter, "the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector." 15 U.S.C. § 1692g(a)(3). Because Midland Credit did not receive such a notice at the time, Midland Credit appropriately proceeded with efforts to contact you and collect the debt. Midland Credit acted in a timely manner and has complied with all applicable laws. However, in keeping with its Consumer-First policy, Midland Credit has made the business decision to close the account. There will be no further collection activity, credit reporting or sale of this account. In addition, the three credit-reporting agencies will be notified to delete all reference to the account in question from your consumer credit files. Please see Midland Credit's comprehensive response letter, which is attached for additional information."

Basically, they screwed my credit for 4 years because they mailed me something that never got delivered so they haunted me for 4 years. They did not want to work with me and in the end they got absolutely nothing and a slap on the wrist by CFPB... At this point I am not only questioning why they were trying to collect crammed charges, but also question the total validity of this "debt". 

In any event, me - 1, Midland - 0. One and done and never again. Hope this helps!

Message 49 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I stumbled upon this thread while browsing the forum, and remembered that I had a T-Mobile account from 2009 through 2012, which I closed due to a number of reasons (one of which being the hidden fees that kept popping up, as well as dissatisfaction with the services provided), and never heard another thing about it.  Last year, an entry was made to my credit report, stating that I had an amount owed to T-Mobile for just over $200, through a collections agency.  I submitted the verification request this evening, and will keep you all updated as to what happens.  Thanks for the info!

Message 50 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.