Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA agreed PFD, but didn't... now what?

tag
wvasweetness
Contributor

CA agreed PFD, but didn't... now what?

Any feedback on next step?  CA agreed verbally and in writing to PFD.  Two small medical - one around $200, one $36.  I paid & they updated within a week on my CR that the amounts were paid.  I waited, not so patiently, for several weeks, and they have not been deleted.

It's listed on the report as "$0 balance, Paid in Full, Last Verified Date Feb 7, 2021" (Feb 7 is the day I talked to them on the phone).  FYI - they were reporting the collection every month.  Paying the debts did not change scoring at all.

I called them, and they are claiming that they are not going to delete, despite me having written verification that they would "delete the reporting line item from all 3 credit bureaus within 3-5 weeks of arranged payment".  So, now what?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA agreed PFD, but didn't... now what?

@wvasweetness wrote:

Any feedback on next step?  CA agreed verbally and in writing to PFD.  Two small medical - one around $200, one $36.  I paid & they updated within a week on my CR that the amounts were paid.  I waited, not so patiently, for several weeks, and they have not been deleted.

It's listed on the report as "$0 balance, Paid in Full, Last Verified Date Feb 7, 2021" (Feb 7 is the day I talked to them on the phone).  FYI - they were reporting the collection every month.  Paying the debts did not change scoring at all.

I called them, and they are claiming that they are not going to delete, despite me having written verification that they would "delete the reporting line item from all 3 credit bureaus within 3-5 weeks of arranged payment".  So, now what?

Which CA is this? When did you pay?

If you have a verbal and written agreement and now they have back tracked, it is too late for them to change their mind. You can submit the written proof to all 3 bureaus as supporting documentation whem you dispute these items on your credit report.

Paying collections alone will do nothing to improve your scores, they have to all be removed. Until the last CA is removed, you will not gain any points.

Has it been at least 30-60 days from the date of the written agreement? It can sometimes take a long time not only on the creditors end, but on the bureau(s) can be slow at times, too. It can at times take upwards of 90d. It can also take 2 updates from some creditors. Once to uodate to paid and then to be removed. It does sound like you have waited some, though.

Message 2 of 6
wvasweetness
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have a verbal and written agreement and now they have back tracked, it is too late for them to change their mind. You can submit the written proof to all 3 bureaus as supporting documentation whem you dispute these items on your credit report.

Paying collections alone will do nothing to improve your scores, they have to all be removed. Until the last CA is removed, you will not gain any points.

Has it been at least 30-60 days from the date of the written agreement? It can sometimes take a long time not only on the creditors end, but on the bureau(s) can be slow at times, too. It can at times take upwards of 90d. It can also take 2 updates from some creditors. Once to uodate to paid and then to be removed. It does sound like you have waited some, though.

The CA is Credit Collections USA. Paid December 30th.  I actually have seen score increases, by small numbers, with paid collections - 4-10 points.  But my goal here is to have it removed, which I thought was going to happen!  Now they are saying they won't.

So based on your reply, the right path is for me to send the documentation showing they agree to delete to the 3 CBs and see what happens?

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can always submit such a dispute, but technically, that will not compel any finding of deletion by the CRA.

A dispute would not provide any showing of inaccuracy.

To the contrary, the CRAs all have a standard policy, as set forth in their common credit reporting manual and incorporated into each credit reporting agreement, that information not be deleted based on consumer payment of the debt.

A dispute does not assert inaccuracy, and is requesting that the CRA delete for a reason directly contrary to their published and official policy.

Teh debt collector may, upon reviewing the copy of the dispute, decide to delete for expediency reasons, thus avoiding further conflict, but a dispute is not the proper legal redress.

Rather, you can file a civil action based on breach of contract, and seek court-ordered compliance.

Regardless, best of luck, as deletion should ultimately be achieved if you have written agreement.

Message 4 of 6
bass_playr
Established Contributor

With plenty of respect to LAhossboss, I must disagree.

The CRAs have made it clear that they are not a fan of PFD, so asking the CRAs to delete themselves would IMHO be a waste of time.

Your fight is not with the CRAs, it is with the debt collector.  That's where I would focus my efforts.  What you have is a violation of FDCPA--they are not permitted to use any dishonest means whatsoever to attempt to collect a debt, and promising a PFD, then changing their mind after you pay is exactly that.  

In my humble opinion, you don't even need to let them know any more than you already have--sending them copies of what they already sent you is pointless because all they need to do is look in their system and they will see the PFD agreement under your account.  I would actually speak to a consumer attorney in your area, most will do a free initial consultation.  These were small debts, and violating the FDCPA carries a maximum statutory penalty of $1000 plus any actual damages plus court costs.  I would see if you can get a consumer attorney to either send them a letter on their letterhead demanding that they follow through with their written agreement, or I might even just file suit against them.  They are not permitted to make any promises to collect a debt without actually honoring them, and since you have it in writing, you should be golden when it comes to proving this.'

What state do you live in?  If you live in a one party state, I would call the debt collector one last time, and record the call.  In a one party state you dont even need to tell them you're recording.  Then, you would have rock solid proof that they made the promise--the letter--and that they now refuse to honor their promise after they got your money.  That's about as open and shut as a case can be at that point.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wvasweetness wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The CA is Credit Collections USA. Paid December 30th.  I actually have seen score increases, by small numbers, with paid collections - 4-10 points.  But my goal here is to have it removed, which I thought was going to happen!  Now they are saying they won't.

So based on your reply, the right path is for me to send the documentation showing they agree to delete to the 3 CBs and see what happens?

I should have said at best you will see small gains it could also be from something else behind the scenes, like age metrics. I have yet to see more than a hanful of points from having entire CAs removed while others are still reporting on both mine and my SO's reports (starting with about 3 dozen CAs between us and now down to 6). The gains have been miniscule compared to gains realized after the last CA coming off the CRs.

I would never sneeze at any points gained, as we need every one of them when rebuilding!  It at least looks better when they have been paid.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.