CA claims they cannot legally do a pay for delete

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA claims they cannot legally do a pay for delete

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm in NY. They are in another state (the CA). They didn't refuse payment, they refused payment for a deletion. I think not having it paid (it's only $200) looks worse for my score than having it paid right? Might as well pay it I think? Plus that negates the likelihood that it will be passed on to someone else and I'll be bothered by it later, whether they can report it or not.

In NY, paid collections are removed after 5 years, not the 7 year Federal CRTP.

If that is true, then once I pay it the item should fall off the report within 30 days of having paid it right? So well before November?

Yes, it should come off. NY has their own "FCRA".
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA claims they cannot legally do a pay for delete

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm in NY. They are in another state (the CA). They didn't refuse payment, they refused payment for a deletion. I think not having it paid (it's only $200) looks worse for my score than having it paid right? Might as well pay it I think? Plus that negates the likelihood that it will be passed on to someone else and I'll be bothered by it later, whether they can report it or not.

FICO doesn't give a doodly-squat if it's paid or unpaid. It treats ALL collections (paid or unpaid) the same.

However, if you're apping for a loan and might go to manual underwrite, I've heard it said that a paid collection looks oodles better to human eyes than an unpaid.

But if you're not going to be apping for the next 6 months, I'd say "why bother!?"
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.