cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA continues to report after OC stops at 7 years.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA continues to report after OC stops at 7 years.

Confused by EQ.  I had a Cap1 account that reached its 7 years in August and was deleted.  The CA/Debt buyer is continuing to report this account?

On EX they have gone buy buy, but here sits this CA on my report.  Also, EQ has deleted all my phone numbers from the reports?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA continues to report after OC stops at 7 years.

It's owned by Midland. Is there a way to add a phone  number to my CR without calling, or do I need to call for both issues?

Message 2 of 14
lesse
Frequent Contributor

Good Morning

In this case you can dispute it with the collection agency as its not valid since its past the reporting time.

START (FICO): 1/28/2013 EQ: 499 EX: 558 TU: 536
Lender Pull:
UPDATED SCORE 10/2015: EX: 763 TU: 709 EQ: 720

GOAL 800 Across the board
Wallet:Credit One $600; NFCU (secured- Changed to unsecured) $7500; NFCU (Unsecured)$500- increase to $12,500 BOA: $1000 Home Depot/Lowes $800 each Childrens Place $350 Sams Club $800
Garden Time Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's owned by Midland. Is there a way to add a phone  number to my CR without calling, or do I need to call for both issues?

Do you have a copy of your EQ reports to compare reported DoFD of the two accounts?

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Confused by EQ.  I had a Cap1 account that reached its 7 years in August and was deleted.  The CA/Debt buyer is continuing to report this account?

On EX they have gone buy buy, but here sits this CA on my report.  Also, EQ has deleted all my phone numbers from the reports?

Probably a good thing, unless you want debt collectors to call you....

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This Midland account is the only collection account that I have on my report.  My current open accounts can't verify my identity if they SP my EQ report.  Tends to get me summarily declined for any new CLI

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

DofD for the OC is 8/2008.  Why would there be a seperate DoFD for the collection?  I was under the assumption that it had to share the same date as the OC?

Message 7 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A DOFD of 8/2008 has a credit report exclusion date of no later than 2/2016 (7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD).

Deletion prior to teh full 7 plus 180 is common, as the CRAs do a standard exclusion at around 7 years from DOFD, which would account for any required exclusion of reporting by the OC.  Early exclusion of a reported collection based on the same DOFD does not always occur at the identical time.

There is no violation unless and until the full 7 years plus 180 days has passed and the collection continues to be included in your credit report.

Even if that were to occur, remedy would not be by way of any dispute with the debt collector.

Their involvment with credit report exclusion extends only to reporting of the DOFD.  Thereaftr, the CRA is required to monitor the period since DOFD, and ensure exclusion no later than 7 years plus 180 days.  Unless you contest the accuracy of the DOFD reported by the debt collector, then the issue is iwth the CRA, not the debt collector.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

DofD for the OC is 8/2008.  Why would there be a seperate DoFD for the collection?  I was under the assumption that it had to share the same date as the OC?

I would agree 100% with the above.

I would also suggest manually verifying that the same DoFD is being used by the CA.  They are *supposed* to use the same DoFD, but I think they stretch it sometimes.  Giving them the benefit of the doubt, if it is different, it could just be human error.    (Man, that last part was really hard for me to type.)

hth

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midland is deleting collections in bulk due to pressure from CFPB. In my view, unless there's some critical need (ie. applying for a mortgage next week), to wait a few months before doing anything. The collection may fall off without any effort on your part. Bureaus sometimes exclude extremely early. And more to the point, there's a good chance Midland will delete it soon anyways.

On an aside, while Midland is deleting many collections, they may still actively be trying to collect on some of them. Crazy stuff. I saw a bunch of Midland and related collectors show on Caller ID earlier today. One would think Midland would dial it back a notch. Contacting Midland may open a can of worms.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.