cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA telling me it's "illegal" to delete a PIF collection off report?!?!

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: CA telling me it's "illegal" to delete a PIF collection off report?!?!

+1

Most parties who tell you that they "cant delete" are doing so based on the general policy handed down to them.

And that policy, while not properly based on illegality, is nonetheless a legitimate policy based on their reporting agreements.

I would hesitate to argue with them on the legality issue, as you are requesting their good-will, even if part of a PFD offer.

Rather, I would move up the  management chain, and find an official who has authority to grant exceptions to whatever policy they have handed down.

Message 11 of 22
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for that answer. I am going to write a letter and just pray that they decide to delete it. It sucks because I thought i was doing the right thing when I simply paid it off. Now, looking back, I guess I shouldn't have paid them so easily...

Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 22
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

They are required legally to report accurately to the CRBs. But they are not required to report to the CRBs at all.

But Robert is right, to most people, the policy is their law.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 13 of 22
enterclevernamehere
Valued Member

I could be wrong here, but if you request DV, under HIPPA they wouldn't be able to verify since the debt is PIF?  Someone with more experience on this can chime in, but from what I was reading under HIPPA they can only validate a debt if you currently owe it therefore since it is paid, they could not validate and would have to delete it?

Starting Score: FICO EQ = 503 | TU - 504
Current Score: FICO EQ = 561 | TU - 551 EX FAKO = 549
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 22
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

How would I go about doing a DV? I had read somewhere that CA's can report an unpaid medical collection but under HIPPA they can delete it when its paid? Not sure how true that is, but its something I'm curious to know more about. For now just wrote a really nice apologetic GW letter thanking them for working with me while I was paying the acct off and basically begging them to remove the items from my report Smiley Happy I really can't dispute cause it is legitimate and plus I'm in the middle of trying to obtain a mortgage (which is why I want the acct's off my report) and I can't have any disputes on my CR because I'm looking at going into underwriting this week or next....but please, someone...let me know more about DV and HIPPA...if my nice GW doesn't work maybe I can try to do those after my mortgage closes....and thanks so much to everyone for the responses. I heart my FICO family Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 22
p-
Valued Contributor

Use your google-fu and search for whychat and hippa

Message 16 of 22
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The DV process does not require debt verification, and lack of verification is not basis for CR deletion.  It requires them, if the DV is timely, to cease collection activities until such time as verification is provided.

If the debt is paid, they wont be conducting further collection activities, so a cease collection bar would mean nothing to them.

Message 17 of 22
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

That's what I was afraid of Smiley Sad So basically, my only real option is to GW the heck outta them and hope they find it in their hearts to delete...one thing that may be a positive is that the CA is fairly small, local (about 45 mins from my town) business and I was able to find the name of their General Manager on their website, so that's who I addressed the GW to. Do you think that was the right move? If I don't get any response from her in a few weeks should I GW her again or GW the Accounts Receivable Dept?
Message 18 of 22
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Also, if they do delete these collections, I know that would help my score by having 3 derogs taken off (they're the only baddies on there besides a 30 day late to a finance company that's due to fall off in Sept) but if these accts are deleted from my CR will that lower my AAoA (they're from 2009; PIF in 2011) and, in turn, lower my score?? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I'm new to this and I'm determined to get it right Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 22
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

And one last thing, since it is PIF could I use the HIPAA process if the GW's don't work?
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.