cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA telling me it's "illegal" to delete a PIF collection off report?!?!

tag
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

CA telling me it's "illegal" to delete a PIF collection off report?!?!

First of all, thanks to everyone on this site. It has been an AMAZING asset for me as I try to rebuild/improve my credit. However, I've ran into a problem. I have 3 old medical CA accounts (all from the same CA and all from the same hospital visit) that I PIF in July 2011. I called and asked for a PFD (after I had already paid off the collections. That was before I knew about this site) and the CA was very rude and said it's "illegal" for them to remove something off my CR??? Is this true?? Should I try contacting the OC and see what they can do or am I just stuck with these baddies?? These are the ONLY baddies on my CR and I'd like to see them go bye-bye. ANY help/info/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks so much Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: CA telling me it's "illegal" to delete a PIF collection off report?!?!

its not illegal.  They agree with the CRAs not to report inaccurate information.  They are not required to report though.

The OC can not remove a CA account on your credit report.  You would have to keep trying, sending letters, calling different people.  There are other methods too.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 22
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Seeing how you already paid for them. They really have no incentive to remove the collections. You can try to GW them to death, but chances are you may be stuck with them.

Good Luck,

John

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 3 of 22
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Bummer Smiley Sad They are the ONLY negatives on my CR. My current scores are TU 676 and EX 672 (per this site) and I'd really like to see them gone Smiley Sad I've read where so many other people get collections taken off their CR and don't understand why I can't.
Message 4 of 22
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

It really is luck of the draw on what CA you get..

I was able to get 13 collection accounts removed after payment with GW..

Just keep at it, its a persistance game

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 22
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

Seeing how you already paid for them. They really have no incentive to remove the collections. You can try to GW them to death, but chances are you may be stuck with them.

Good Luck,

John

They have incentive... dealing with your letters, paying someone to open, read them, log them into their system, and then report the most recent update to the CRA..

I have had much better success with GW than I did with PFD to be honest. I had 19 collection accounts when I started. I was able to PFD 3... I was able to pay in full, then good will remove 13...  I had three left, they have been hard, but just this week I got Hunter Warfield to finally remove after a year.

-scott

Message 6 of 22
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Before I became aware of this site I was dumb when it came to credit. I automatically assumed that when I PIF that they would just take the collection off. And I'm not sure if having a paid CA on my report is better than having an unpaid CA because I know ANY CA on your report makes it bad. I'm just confused as to why this collection agency is being so mean about it. I told them that I know of people who get paid collections deleted from their CR all the time and they told me that it's illegal to do such (which I know now is a crock of crap). I've called and called and called and am getting nowhere. Very frustrating Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 22
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

I have heard of companies that say they can get things removed from your CR....has anyone tried those places and had any luck? Or is that just a scam?? I'm extremely desperate to get these suckers OFF my CR!!!
Message 8 of 22
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@hippychic823 wrote:
I have heard of companies that say they can get things removed from your CR....has anyone tried those places and had any luck? Or is that just a scam?? I'm extremely desperate to get these suckers OFF my CR!!!

Those companies just do the same things you could do, and often they just keep disputing the account... which isn't really a good way to harbor good will with a company.

-scott

Message 9 of 22
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Ahhhhh, I see....thanks for that info Smiley Happy Guess I will just trying and trying to see if they will finally give in and delete.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.