cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Charge Off Question

CC Charge Off Question

Almost 4 years ago I was pretty irresponsible and my Discover It card was charged off for $1k, and I settled for $600ish. Several years have gone by and I have rebuilt my credit and understanding of credit, and am now in an okay place. 

I don't want this charge off showing up anymore - and wanted to know if there was any possibility of Discover removing the charge off? I have heard very few stories of charged off cards being removed, but thought it would be worth exploring, just in case! Talk to me about your advice, experiences, etc. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

Re: CC Charge Off Question

@Creditinallthewrongplaces wrote:

Almost 4 years ago I was pretty irresponsible and my Discover It card was charged off for $1k, and I settled for $600ish. Several years have gone by and I have rebuilt my credit and understanding of credit, and am now in an okay place. 

I don't want this charge off showing up anymore - and wanted to know if there was any possibility of Discover removing the charge off? I have heard very few stories of charged off cards being removed, but thought it would be worth exploring, just in case! Talk to me about your advice, experiences, etc. 

I as well have a charge off from Discover ($2200, settled for less) 2014. I have been unsuccessful in having it removed, only tried a few times. They never responded and it remains today. Also, if you're curious about getting back in with them as I was. I read on the forum that Disco was forgiving and in my experience that has not been the case. I applied on the prequal page for the IT card and I received a letter citing a past relationship as the decline reason, they soft pulled Experian, so I did not receive a hard pull. YMMV, good luck with your search. 

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 2 of 3

Re: CC Charge Off Question

Ugh what a bummer. Thanks for sharing your experience, that's kind of how I was figuring it would go. A few months ago I also tried the Discover prequalify site just for poops and giggles, and didn't have any offers either. Looks like we're both doing okay credit wise despite our flunder with Discover! 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.