Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CO and Collection from Capital one

tag
dodgeball
Established Contributor

CO and Collection from Capital one

Im confused I thought that a account can only show as a chargeoff if they didnt sell the account to a collection agency. So I have a charge off from capital one on my report as well as a collection from the same account is this legal? Im sure Im taking a point hit on this.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
js0319
Established Contributor

Re: CO and Collection from Capital one

A CO means that the OC took a loss on the account. That doesn't mean that the debt isn't valid.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Both a CO and a CA can report, though only one can report a balance.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

A charge-off is a business accounting measure that reflects the creditor's statement at that point in time that the bad debt is now considered "uncollectible."

They can thus move it from a receivable (taxable) asset to a business writeoff.

The subsequent status of the debt is irrelevant to the fact of the CO.  If the OC laters collects some of the charged-off debt, they reconcile that with the IRS in their accounting of receivables.

The entire amount of the charged-off debt is still due to the owner, and they may pursue collection of the entire amount, as long as they still own the debt.

As far as the consumer is concerned, the act of a prior charge-off has no effect on the full debt, or the authority of anyone to continue to attempt to collect it.

If a debt collector becomes involved, either as an assignee of the creditor or the owner, they are entitled to collect on the full amount, and report those collection efforts to the CRAs.  The owner reports the debt owed, and the debt collector reports the debt they are collecting upon.  If the debt collector buys the debt, their reporting reflects both.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.