cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CO w/ balance held by OC will still fall off after 7 years, right?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CO w/ balance held by OC will still fall off after 7 years, right?

A CO with a balance, DOFD 11/13, never went to collections and is still being held and reported by the OC (Chase).

I am fairly convinced this is the biggest item on my report suppressing my scores as it's showing a UTI of 113%.

This will still fall after 7 years right? I am asking because I know closed accounts can stay on your report for up to ten years, but that's only when they're closed in a positive light, right? CO will, regardless of who's holding it and what the balance is, fall off after 7?

The question arose because of the fact that they never sent a CA to collect and I'm now worried they're holding it to make sure I'm properly punished for the entire 10 years. Smiley Sad I probably just need more coffee.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: CO w/ balance held by OC will still fall off after 7 years, right?

To answer your question, yes.

Early Exclusion:

7 year (plus 180 days) mark is the DoFD exclusion date. You can request for EE Early Exclusion on your derogatory / delinquency from:

TransUnion - 6 months early.
Experian - 3 months early.
Equifax - 1 month early. I would not recommend requesting EE. Let derogatory / delinquency fall off naturally.

Call up TransUnion . Front line csr may be able to assist. If not, request to speak with a supervisor to have the delinquency / derogatory removed. You may not see a score improvement until the last late is removed. However, since EE request is a simple process might as well take advantage of it.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

To answer your question, yes.

Early Exclusion:

7 year (plus 180 days) mark is the DoFD exclusion date. You can request for EE Early Exclusion on your derogatory / delinquency from:

TransUnion - 6 months early.
Experian - 3 months early.
Equifax - 1 month early. I would not recommend requesting EE. Let derogatory / delinquency fall off naturally.

Call up TransUnion . Front line csr may be able to assist. If not, request to speak with a supervisor to have the delinquency / derogatory removed. You may not see a score improvement until the last late is removed. However, since EE request is a simple process might as well take advantage of it.

Thanks, I was pretty sure that was the answer but I wanted to clarify to be sure. I still have a couple months before I can request the TU EE, I'ma do my best to sit on my hands and tough it out.

Message 3 of 6
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Good luck. May the odds be ever in your favor!
Message 4 of 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Keep in mind that even though it falls off your report, it never disappears. It can be sold over and over to collections agencies for the rest of your life until paid, forgiven, or IIB. It just can't be legally reported to the bureaus.

Also, if you ever want to get back in with chase, they will never let you forget that you burned them. 20 years later and you want a CLI on a freedom? "Well, Mr/Mrs. Delayedsol, we're showing that back in 2013, you defaulted on a card and never paid us back. Can you tell me about that?"

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Keep in mind that even though it falls off your report, it never disappears. It can be sold over and over to collections agencies for the rest of your life until paid, forgiven, or IIB. It just can't be legally reported to the bureaus.

Also, if you ever want to get back in with chase, they will never let you forget that you burned them. 20 years later and you want a CLI on a freedom? "Well, Mr/Mrs. Delayedsol, we're showing that back in 2013, you defaulted on a card and never paid us back. Can you tell me about that?"

Aware of both items, but thank you for the info. Smiley Sad

Right now my primary concern is getting back to a creditworthy rating. I've already paid off a few collections and Amex despite it being off my report. With tax season coming up (I run my own company so it's a gawd dang hassle) I'm focusing on gardening and working towards a clean report.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.