Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COLLECTIONS ALL PAID :) BUT questions about them

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

COLLECTIONS ALL PAID :) BUT questions about them

I have two collections:
1st) Midland-Opened on 7/30/2018, paid (less than full) on 02/27/2019. Will it drop on when its two years old? Meaning 7/30/2020? 
2nd) LVNV=Resurgent-paid off (full balance) on 12/21/19. Hasn't shown on MyFico, which I know can take up to three months. BUT do they have the two year thing too? The account with them was opened 06/15/2018. So 06/15/2020...

Also, has anyone had any luck with getting them to do it earlier if the 2 year thing is true for either?

TIA, and this message board has been an absolute life saver!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
satio
Frequent Contributor

Re: COLLECTIONS ALL PAID :) BUT questions about them

I don't believe there is any "2 year rule" so far as collection removals.... at least none that I have ever heard of.

Derogatory items can have a life span of 7.5 years though you will typically see these drop at 7 years or perhaps 2-3 months short of this if a CRA chooses to exclude them a little early.

In my experience, Experian drops about 3 months early of the 7 years. TU and EQ are less likely to do so but may give you 1-2 month grace if you call and request it.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have previously paid my account with Midland Credit Management (MCM) and I heard about the Credit Reporting Policy changes program. Are you able to delete my account?
If you have made a payment within 3 months of the date on our initial notice and meet the criteria, then we are not reporting your account. If your account was previously reporting and has been resolved, the trade line will be removed from your credit report when it is more than 2 years since the date of delinquency. If you believe you meet these requirements, but have an account showing on your credit report please contact us at (800) 296-2657.

That's what I had read on MCM website, and where my 2 year question came from. I wasn't sure if there were more stipulations to it.

Message 3 of 11
satio
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have previously paid my account with Midland Credit Management (MCM) and I heard about the Credit Reporting Policy changes program. Are you able to delete my account?
If you have made a payment within 3 months of the date on our initial notice and meet the criteria, then we are not reporting your account. If your account was previously reporting and has been resolved, the trade line will be removed from your credit report when it is more than 2 years since the date of delinquency. If you believe you meet these requirements, but have an account showing on your credit report please contact us at (800) 296-2657.

That's what I had read on MCM website, and where my 2 year question came from. I wasn't sure if there were more stipulations to it.

Fair enough though that is a policy specific to MCM (not a general one for all CAs) but it would seem your calculations are correct and if you do not see it fall off at that time then I would certainly make a call to them.  

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midland will delete at the two-year mark since they’ve been paid. LVNV most likely will not - anecdotally on this forum, I’ve read of LVNV having among the fewest successful early-delete stories of all the CAs we regularly come across. That’s not to say it isn’t worth trying - it is - but with them, don’t bet the house or hold your breath.
Message 5 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Midland will delete at the two-year mark since they’ve been paid. LVNV most likely will not - anecdotally on this forum, I’ve read of LVNV having among the fewest successful early-delete stories of all the CAs we regularly come across. That’s not to say it isn’t worth trying - it is - but with them, don’t bet the house or hold your breath.

Actually, there have been a few LVNV self delete stories on here this past year, including me. So there may be hope yet. Smiley Happy

But correct, Midland will delete upon PIF or settlement and if 2 years have elapsed. So to answer OP's original question, yes, it should fall off when you said, but give it an additional 30-60 days from that day because they'll most likely barely be putting in the request for deletion at that time, and then the CRA's need time to process the request.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! Thank you all for the replies!
Even if just midland is deleted from my credit report, it’ll look a little better having one paid collection than both collections on there. Hopefully.
Message 7 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yea so LVNV doesn't have a formal 2-year thing like Midland, but as I said, they did self remove themselves from all 3 bureaus for me after about 45 days from final payment. I wasn't expecting it, but I was certainly hopeful after seeing a few others reporting that LVNV had deleted their TL themselves after a couple of months.

So what I'm saying is there is a bit of hope. No guarantees, just to be clear, but there MIGHT be a chance they'll also delete for you within the next month or so. Check your reports around mid-February and see if they're gone. Smiley Happy

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

An update! LVNV and Midland both removed themselves this month! 

Message 9 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.