Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA deleted entire file?

tag
katinOR
Valued Member

CRA deleted entire file?

I have been fairly active disputing several collections that are not mine over the last several months. I have opened a few new cards and working on credit repair. One CRA (not sure I want to give a ton of details in case this is a fluke?) sent a message that I have to call and verify my address. At the same time I couldn't pull my info from CCT and when I called them, they stated it was due to a fraud alert with my SS number and said CRA.

I called and they said my address did not match my credit report. They gave an address I have not had. I was confused because my current address shows on the report but so does multiple other addresses, most of which were not mine. They did not ask for clarification on my social security number. I had to fax in my drivers license and a statement of why I was sending it.

I noticed that my credit score changed significantly and tried to pull my three reports, again the same error. 

I called the CRA today to find out why this was not resolved as I had sent everything in. The rep stated that it was because it was misspelled on my account and should be fine now. I mentioned that I wanted to dispute items but would look at my report first. He stated "you have a very thin file, I could tell you in a minute what you have on it." He proceeded to tell me the only thing on myfile was one collection, two credit cards, my name and address.

I had a VERY thick file. Many good positive lines which I believe will update when they report but multiple baddies that are now off. He has sent me a copy of the report.

has anybody had this happen? What does that mean? He did say if new cards report they will udpate but I believe they are not able to add the deleted information off if they do not notify me in writing, is that still correct?

I'm a bit stunned and am not sure if this is good or bad? I did have two judgments and about 9 more collections that are paid or in the process of falling off so I am happy to see them go.... but wondering if they will come back? By the way these are not items that I had disputed or had a problem with. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Re: CRA deleted entire file?

@katinOR wrote:

I have been fairly active disputing several collections that are not mine over the last several months. I have opened a few new cards and working on credit repair. One CRA (not sure I want to give a ton of details in case this is a fluke?) sent a message that I have to call and verify my address. At the same time I couldn't pull my info from CCT and when I called them, they stated it was due to a fraud alert with my SS number and said CRA.

I called and they said my address did not match my credit report. They gave an address I have not had. I was confused because my current address shows on the report but so does multiple other addresses, most of which were not mine. They did not ask for clarification on my social security number. I had to fax in my drivers license and a statement of why I was sending it.

I noticed that my credit score changed significantly and tried to pull my three reports, again the same error. 

I called the CRA today to find out why this was not resolved as I had sent everything in. The rep stated that it was because it was misspelled on my account and should be fine now. I mentioned that I wanted to dispute items but would look at my report first. He stated "you have a very thin file, I could tell you in a minute what you have on it." He proceeded to tell me the only thing on myfile was one collection, two credit cards, my name and address.

I had a VERY thick file. Many good positive lines which I believe will update when they report but multiple baddies that are now off. He has sent me a copy of the report.

has anybody had this happen? What does that mean? He did say if new cards report they will udpate but I believe they are not able to add the deleted information off if they do not notify me in writing, is that still correct?

I'm a bit stunned and am not sure if this is good or bad? I did have two judgments and about 9 more collections that are paid or in the process of falling off so I am happy to see them go.... but wondering if they will come back? By the way these are not items that I had disputed or had a problem with. 

Congrats!  Sorry you had to go through all of that, but maybe they thought theft identity and just deleted all the baddies?  Like my momma use to tell me all the time "don't look for trouble, be happy for what you have received".  Smiley Happy

Starting all over again!
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@katinOR wrote:

You may have a "split file". Happens frequently with thick files. Have you been using several credit monitoring sites on a regular basis?

Message 3 of 12
katinOR
Valued Member

Interesting.... In reading about a split file that appears to be what happened however for me this may (?) be a good thing?

Ultimately my score rose about 100 points. I lost judgments and several old late payments from student loans as well as several collections that either are paid or I'm working on paying them. Granted I lost good credit too but the bad credit definitely outweighed the good.

It sounds like this typically doesn't get fixed without a lot of work... I'm tempted to leave well enough alone.

Thoughts?
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@katinOR wrote:
Interesting.... In reading about a split file that appears to be what happened however for me this may (?) be a good thing?

Ultimately my score rose about 100 points. I lost judgments and several old late payments from student loans as well as several collections that either are paid or I'm working on paying them. Granted I lost good credit too but the bad credit definitely outweighed the good.

It sounds like this typically doesn't get fixed without a lot of work... I'm tempted to leave well enough alone.

Thoughts?

It may seem like a good thing now, but creditors requesting your file *may* get the part with all the derogs, instead of the "good" one that you are *currently* getting. I say currently because the CRA may start spitting out the other half of your file at any moment.

Is this Equifax, BTW? Just curious...

Message 5 of 12
katinOR
Valued Member

Yep... It's EF. Guess I'm just gonna see what happens over the next few weeks ... What an odd situation!
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@katinOR wrote:
Yep... It's EF. Guess I'm just gonna see what happens over the next few weeks ... What an odd situation!

One of the monkeys must have had a stroke.

Message 7 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Many an ostrich has died with its head buried in the sand.

I would get it corrected........

Message 8 of 12
dt3813
Regular Contributor

My Equifax is a mess too....same thing and aggravating. It's very difficult to get someone to fix. The department is only open M-Thursday.

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15
Scores on discharge EQ669 TU650 EX654
current scores EQ776 TU775 EX758
WF $2500 WF $3000 Discover $6000 Target $1200 Amazon $5000 Jcrew $5250 Lowes $8300 Tjmaxx $5000 Cap1 $14750 venture $25500 jetBlue $21000 pier1 $5000 Amex $10000x2 AMEX $21,000 BoA$8000 CitiDC$8000

Message 9 of 12
dt3813
Regular Contributor

I sent you a PM.

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15
Scores on discharge EQ669 TU650 EX654
current scores EQ776 TU775 EX758
WF $2500 WF $3000 Discover $6000 Target $1200 Amazon $5000 Jcrew $5250 Lowes $8300 Tjmaxx $5000 Cap1 $14750 venture $25500 jetBlue $21000 pier1 $5000 Amex $10000x2 AMEX $21,000 BoA$8000 CitiDC$8000

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.