cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from Portfolio Recoveries on an OLD ACCOUNT - Worry or NOT?

tag
esmer0924
Regular Contributor

Call from Portfolio Recoveries on an OLD ACCOUNT - Worry or NOT?

I just received a call from Portfolio Recovers regarding an account in 2003.  I told the lady I didn't owe the item and that it wasn't on my credit report any longer and the original creditor was who she needed to talk to.  She told me that if I ever try to buy a house that the lenders would frown upon me having an inquiry from their office.  Should I worry about this or not? 

Starting Score: 672 TU, 669 EQ, 659 EX FAKO(10/3/11)
Current Score: 786 TU FICO(5/23/14), 758 EQ FICO (8/01/14), 811 EX FICO (5/26/14)
Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Re: Call from Portfolio Recoveries on an OLD ACCOUNT - Worry or NOT?

Sounds like a scam to get old $$ and passed statute of limitations.

Message 2 of 44
john398
Senior Contributor

they may have bought the debt from the original lender however it does sound like a threat and I would not pay, the inquiry will go away besides I have never heard of not getting a loan based on 1 inquiry

Message 3 of 44
romey050500
New Contributor

wouldn't this be a soft pull?

NFCU Flagship Visa 25k - Pentagon FCU Platinum Visa Signature 20k - USAA World MasterCard 10k - USAA American Express 10k - BoA 3, 2, 1 Card 10k - Southwest RR 8.5k - CSP 5k - Chase Freedom 2k - Discover It 2k - Barclay's Arrival 2.5k - NFCU Cash Rewards 2k - Military Star 5.8k - American Express BCP 2k - American Express PRG NPSL
Message 4 of 44
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@john398 wrote:

they may have bought the debt from the original lender however it does sound like a threat and I would not pay, the inquiry will go away besides I have never heard of not getting a loan based on 1 inquiry

IT WON'T BE JUST ONE INQUIRY!!  

They'll HP your CRs repeatedly unless  you freeze them,  whether the debt is yours or not!  Yeah, it's against the law (you have no business relationship with them), but they feel the risk is worth the accounts they've managed to blackmail people into paying.

FREEZE your accounts now and if  you see an INQ by them, contact your states attorney generals office about it. 

This is common practice for them and they'll continue until enough people complain. 

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 44
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@romey050500 wrote:

wouldn't this be a soft pull?

NOPE!

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 6 of 44
esmer0924
Regular Contributor

How do I put a freeze on my reports?

Current Score: 786 TU FICO(5/23/14), 758 EQ FICO (8/01/14), 811 EX FICO (5/26/14)

Message 7 of 44
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to move this to Rebuilding Your Credit; you should find additional members on that forum that have experience dealing with this sort of issue. Best wishes.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 44
esmer0924
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I thought that is where I put it Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 44
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt is legit and the debt collector has legitimate collection authority, such as by purchase of the debt, they can continue collection activity, including making inquiries for the consumer's credit report.  Collection on a debt is a permissible purpose for making inquiry for a consumer credit report under FCRA 604, and that permissible purpose does not expire at any statutory time.

Whether to worry about an old collection that has passed both your state statute of limitations and its credit report exclusion period is a matter of its potential future impact.

I would never summarily advise not to pay.

While credit report exclusion will shield knowledge of the bad debt from future creditors by a simple pull of your credit report, it still exists, and could be discovered by other means, such as a simple inquiry on their part as to whether you have any old, unpaid debt.

You take your chances when choosing to rely upon credit report exclusion as means to prevent knowledge of delinquent debt.

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.