cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling the CA?

radfam
Frequent Contributor

Calling the CA?

Why is it a bad idea to call the CA directly?  I have a university balance that was placed with collections.  I have tried to call the university to have them recall the debt, but they said they cannot (or will not, based on policies I have since read online).  It doesnt appear that the debt was sold, but merely placed for collections.  I have always read to NOT call a CA, and only communicate in writing.  I have the funds to pay off the debt in full, so I want to take care of this.  I would just like some input from the group on reasons why it may be a bad idea to just call them and pay it.  I have seen on BBB website that the CA does report the balance as paid for 30 days and then removes from credit reporting.

Fico 8 as of 11/13/19:

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
radfam
Frequent Contributor

Re: Calling the CA?

UKCOL.PNG

Fico 8 as of 11/13/19:

Message 2 of 3
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Calling the CA?

@radfam wrote:

Why is it a bad idea to call the CA directly?  I have a university balance that was placed with collections.  I have tried to call the university to have them recall the debt, but they said they cannot (or will not, based on policies I have since read online).  It doesnt appear that the debt was sold, but merely placed for collections.  I have always read to NOT call a CA, and only communicate in writing.  I have the funds to pay off the debt in full, so I want to take care of this.  I would just like some input from the group on reasons why it may be a bad idea to just call them and pay it.  I have seen on BBB website that the CA does report the balance as paid for 30 days and then removes from credit reporting.

If you are ready to pay in full today, just call them and pay it, especially if you are reasonably sure it will be deleted once paid. 

"Only in writing" mentality indicates that you believe that the company might not honor its agreement (such as settlement amounts) but you are not asking for anything other than to pay it off.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.