cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calvary Portfolio and CRA's

Highlighted
New Member

Calvary Portfolio and CRA's

Here's a quick little story. In Sept 2000 I defaulted on a cell phone bill.  Eventually AT&T sold it to Calvary but the original delinquency date stuck.  About 6 months before the 7 year falloff, Calvary got ahold of me and I basically told them I would pay in full.  The guy on the other end said that would reset the date of my delinquency.  Needless to say, I didn't pay and 6 months later made sure it fell off all my reports.
 
Now a year later and I'm still receiving phone calls and a nice 20% offer.  The phone calls are getting old.  Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Calvary Portfolio and CRA's

Yes, that guy didn't know what he was talking about. As much as we all tend to assign the worst motives to CAs around here, generally their CRAs simply don't know the law or what the heck they're talking about.
Paying a collection will not reset anything once it's outside SOL. Even if you had paid then, it still would have fallen off your CRs in 6 months as scheduled. Poor kid talked his way out of a tidy little commission on that phone call, big dummy. If he'd told you correct, that paying it would have no effect on when it fell off your CR and you were safe, he could have had a plumper paycheck that period...
 
There is no harm in paying it now, as well. It can't be legally placed back on your CRs.
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
New Member

Re: Calvary Portfolio and CRA's

So paying $35 on a $178 bill is a small price to pay to get the phone calls to stop? Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Calvary Portfolio and CRA's

does calvary do PFD's?
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Calvary Portfolio and CRA's



geekboy wrote:
So paying $35 on a $178 bill is a small price to pay to get the phone calls to stop? Smiley Happy


If it is past SOL and past CRTP, you can send them a cease and desist letter.
 
If you chose to settle, watch the wording correctly. Make sure that they agree to consider the account paid in full and not sell, transfer, assign, collect, or take any actions that would allow another CA to try to collect on the remaining balance.
 
Paying would have reset SOL, but not DOFD. DOFD is what removal date goes by.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Calvary Portfolio and CRA's

so in some cases, can we say, the removal date that an account comes off can actually be before the SOL date (being sued? SOL goes by DOLA? thanks trying to understand
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Calvary Portfolio and CRA's



oracles wrote:
so in some cases, can we say, the removal date that an account comes off can actually be before the SOL date (being sued? SOL goes by DOLA? thanks trying to understand

Yes and it can also be after.
 
SOL is set by each state. This goes by DOLA and SOL can be tolled or reset.
 
CRTP is federal, no matter what state you are in, with NY being the exception. This goes from DOFD, which is set by the OC and can not be changed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Calvary Portfolio and CRA's

funny you should mention NY, cause that is where we are at, so what is the difference when it comes to NY. you are the best sidewinder. I am trying to find out for my friend when will this cap1 account come off and when is the last day they can come after him. ON his scorewatch, DOLA is jul 2003 so i am assuming that SOL would be jul 2009 since it is 6 years for ny. However it does not say what is the DOFD so we can determine when the account will come off. He has tried to PFD with cap1 but they said no. We are thinking that the account may come off before the SOL expires if the DOFD is much sooner. However , does this change anything since we are in NY?
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Calvary Portfolio and CRA's

Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Calvary Portfolio and CRA's



oracles wrote:
funny you should mention NY, cause that is where we are at, so what is the difference when it comes to NY. you are the best sidewinder. I am trying to find out for my friend when will this cap1 account come off and when is the last day they can come after him. ON his scorewatch, DOLA is jul 2003 so i am assuming that SOL would be jul 2009 since it is 6 years for ny. However it does not say what is the DOFD so we can determine when the account will come off. He has tried to PFD with cap1 but they said no. We are thinking that the account may come off before the SOL expires if the DOFD is much sooner. However , does this change anything since we are in NY?

In NY, paid collections are removed 5 years from DOFD.
 
Call EQ and ask for removal date of the account. Subtract 7-7.5 years and you have DOFD. If they don't know what removal date is, ask for FCRA Compliance Date.
 
Try getting the reports directly from the CRA and look at them. I believe EQ uses DOLA instead of DOFD. They use the right date, the same date others put in DOFD field, they just put it in the DOLA field instead. So, July 2003 would be DOFD......meaning the account should remain 7-7.5 years from then.
 
If you go to transunion.com and click dispute, click online, it will take you through the process and let you view your report to check for innaccuracies, you don't have to actually submit the disptue. TU shows a removal date.
 
The actual DOLA is not something you want to get from your reports, IMO. You want to know that date for certain, seeing as SOL is based on that. When did your friend last make a payment or use the card?

 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.