Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can A Collection Agency Do this?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can A Collection Agency Do this?

There is an account that I have with a collection agency that has already been paid to the original creditor. I am trying to get them deleted off my record at all cost as it is a recent one.  They have given me a letter saying that they will delete the record but still have not and I am inpatient and looking for any inconsistencies to make them delete it already. I have seen in the forums that they are not allowed to have amount past due or Last Payment date , in my other report they have payment status: late and terms 1 month, if I never made any payments to them and that I can ask that they delete the account base on incorrect reporting in those areas is that correct? Is a CA able to put terms 1 month and they have January listed as a late payment, I never made a payment to them or anyone in January. It has Terms listed as 1 month. Please let me know if there is anything I can do regarding this reporting to get them to delete based on that. I also have a letter saying that they would delete but they still have done nothing. BBB is a joke and they quickly closed my case. I don't know what to do next. thanks.

Date Reported:01/2016 
Date Assigned:12/2015 
Creditor Classification:Cable/Cellular 
Creditor Name:C
Account Number: 
Account Owner:Individual Account. 
Original Amount Owned:$316 
Date of 1 st Delinquency:09/2015 
Balance Date:01/2016 
Balance Owned:$271 
Last Payment Date:10/12/2015 
Status Date:01/2016 
Comments:N/A
 Another report below tehy say terms: 1 month

Account Number 
0000000002994XXXX 
Account Type 
Collection 
Terms 
1 Month 
Date Opened 
12/01/2015 
Account Status 
Closed 
Payment Status 
Late 
Payment Status Details 
Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department 
Status Updated 
01/01/2016 
Balance 
$271.00 
Balance Updated 
Credit Limit 
Past Due Amount 
$271.00 
High Balance 
Monthly Payment 
Balloon Payment 
Contact Phone 

Contact Address 

Ownership 
Individual 
Original Creditor 
C
Company Sold-to 
Original Amount 
$316.00 
Comments 
-
Payment History

JAN

No data received for this period.

I have not made any payments to them in January. The account was paid in full to the original creditor in February and I never made any payments to the CA., can they really list a late payment in January. I also have the 0 balance letter from the original OC stating that it was paid in full. Can I get them to delete based on this incorrect reporting, stating late payment in Jan 2016, 1 month term, etc. please advice.

4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can A Collection Agency Do this?

A dispute over specific, reported information does not mandate deletion of other reported information.

You can certainly dispute the accuracy of paymetns made or terms, etc., but resolution of the dispute will not extend to required deletion of the entire collection.

The intent of the dispute process is to correct inaccurate reporting, not to impose penalties precluding the continued reporting of accurate information.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

A dispute over specific, reported information does not mandate deletion of other reported information.

You can certainly dispute the accuracy of paymetns made or terms, etc., but resolution of the dispute will not extend to required deletion of the entire collection.

The intent of the dispute process is to correct inaccurate reporting, not to impose penalties precluding the continued reporting of accurate information.

Thanks so much Robert for your response. I know you told me in another thread that since I have PFD letter from them even though I paid the OC in full, that I could go to the BBB with it since they are not removing anything and I should not dispute. But I need to move forward with life and this is a thorn on my side because it is new reporting. Can you tell me how can I word it in the BBB site the fact that I have a Delete letter on company letterhead from them but they are still not deleting it. I want to be proactive. I know they don't have to do anything but I want to make them accountable on the letter that I have, I just don't know what to say in the BBB site. Anyone?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they have made a commitment in exchange for your payment, you have a contract, be it oral or written.

Written makes your position kinda solid in court.

An intent to sue might be more effective than concern about a BBB complaint in seeking compliance.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

dispute it via online with the bureau and ask for item verification or Not mine. Or fax the letter with the dispute Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.